“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Our Trip to Maryland:
A Visit to the Emergency Room
and A Mother's Prayer

We're home. Pretty much all of the snow has been melted by the rains. Back to "normal" weather for Portland.

Maryland has not had "normal" weather, either. Instead of snow... it has been warm. It is so warm that the deer ticks are still prevalent. Not yet killed off by the cold weather. And if you happen to decide to go play with your cousins in the woods... well, you just might find one... unknowingly.

On Sunday, Christopher complained about his ear hurting. We chalked it up to a potential ear infection.

On Tuesday, I just "happened" to sit to the left of Christopher. Realizing that hygiene is difficult for a 9-year old while he is visiting his cousins... I noticed that his left ear needed a really good cleaning.

But what was that? In the upper folds of the outer ear... dirt? No. Well, it looks a little like stitches... wait a minute... and my heart drops to my feet. A tick.

To avoid contracting Lyme disease it is important to remove all of the tick within 36 hours. We try to remove the tick, but it is not letting go. Finally, release... but the head and two arms remain. Even the physician's assistant at the ER cannot get all of it out.

It is a deer tick and we need to begin treatment for Lyme Disease... whether it is present or not. Did treatment begin soon enough?

Christopher is currently on antibiotics for fourteen days and we keep a stringent watch for potential symptoms... rash, fever, fatigue, muscle and joint stiffness, swollen glands, headache, and flu-like symptoms.

Lyme Disease can affect the heart and nervous system and/or motor and sensory nerve damage, brain inflammation and arthritis throughout the rest of your life.

Do not be anxious about anything,
but in everything,
by prayer and petition,
with thanksgiving,
present your requests to God.
And the peace of God,
which transcends all understanding,
will guard your hearts and
your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7 NIV


Dear Heavenly Father, thank you! I praise you, Lord! That you revealed to me the little tick in my precious son's ear. What if I had not seen it? What if we did not have the ability to go to the ER? What if treatment had not begun soon enough? We are truly blessed by You.

And now, Lord, I ask that You would heal my precious boy. Any infection that exists would be overcome by the antibiotics. That Your strength would be his strength... and mine, too. And that I would allow your peace to invade my soul. In the name of Jesus, Amen.

14 comments:

beloved Mama said...

praying!

Jennifer said...

Praying right now for little Christopher! May the healing power of Jesus Christ immediately begin to flow through his body destroying any infection there is in his little body.

In Jesus Name!

bp said...

I'll be praying for Christopher. I'm so glad you saw it when you did also.

Rhonda Azari said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Donald Douglas said...

I will say a prayer for your Christopher.

God bless and have a wonderul New Year!

Tänia said...

Thank you LORD for an observant Mom! Praying for Christopher's complete healing and that this will be just one of those stories he can tell later about faith and Your love for him!

Praying for your son!

Tänia

VINTAGE GIRL AT HEART said...

Well,I was popping in for New Years well wishes.. so sorry to hear about the tick, good thing yoiu caught it early!! I will keep your little one on my prayers. Keep us posted on his progress!
May you and your Family have a Happy 2009!!!

Darlene said...

Praying for Christopher and mom!

boutcrazy said...

Praying for you and also checking my son's ears!

Grace said...

Too scary! Please let us know the progress.

Hugs ~
Grace

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to get here late. Putting Christopher at the top of my prayers today! Please keep me posted. My goodness...do you wish you'd just stayed at home this year considering all the many detours?! Love you.

peace~elaine

Marsha said...

I just came over from Raindrops and Rainbows... I've seen your name at a few places in my blogging journey, just never popped over.

I love your creativity - with your words, post lay out and pictures.

Please know that I'll be praying for Christopher. That's a scarey thing.

Kristi said...

I am praying for your son today too. May the Great Physician heal him and protect him from any complications.

Daughter of Zion said...

What was the outcome. Was your son alright?