“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Special Olympics Scarf

And let us consider how
we may spur one another on
toward love and good deeds.
Hebrews 10:24 NIV


My knitting buddy, Lisa D., sent me an e-mail a couple months ago suggesting that we make scarves for the Special Olympics. See Special Olympics Scarves. I have never made a beloved knitted gift for someone I do not know. I have to admit that it is not quite as fulfilling as knitting for someone I love. But that was not the point.


Still, I took the finished project and wrapped it around my neck one day and wore it. Partly to pray for the Special Olympian who will don it. And partly for me to have a moment alone to say good-bye to my hand-knitted creation.


And so, I learned a couple things while completing this project.
  • Acrylic yarn is not forgiving.
  • Acrylic yarn is not appealing to the touch.
  • Finding Red Heart Saver Yarn in the color Delft in Portland is impossible.
  • I like the look of scarves knit lengthwise.
  • I'd rather knit for a beloved one.
  • I like working on service projects with friends.
A little encouragement: Next time you have a service project or ministry, why not spur someone to come alongside you? You might just cultivate a friendship... or create a deeper connection with a sister!

11 comments:

bp said...

That is really a good idea to do a project with a friend. Thanks for that idea.

dazz2us@yahoo.com said...

Your scarf looks terrific! I love it. I sent my off without a return address on the envelope. I forgot about it but it doesn't matter. I've started my new project but have ripped it out 2-3 times so far. Frustrating.

I look forward to seeing you on Thursday!

Lisa

a portland granny said...

Beautiful scarf...and you are right, doing projects with a friend is a great idea. My "card making" room often has a friend on the other side of the work table. Great time for fellowship, sharing, and just enjoying another's company!

Heather - CROQZine.com - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

I'm sure the person who gets the scarf will really love it!

Deborah said...

I love the idea about wearing the scarf and praying for the person who will be wearing. They will be blessed.

Kathy said...

I love the scarf!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Love the scarf and the gift it represents! I've been wanting to know about your son, Christopher. Has he fully recovered from his tick bite? If he's starting basketball, he must be doing great. I'm so relieved.

peace~elaine

Rhonda Azari said...

What a beautiful scarf!! And what a creative gift you have. I know that the olympian that receives it will treasure it :D

beloved Mama said...

that's a good idea! encouraging someone to come along side us!

Anonymous said...

Sheri
The scarf is just beautiful. Some Special person will be blessed with receiving it. It could be the only gift that they ever get.
Ruth

Kristi said...

Your scarf is beautiful and your post is incredible. How blessed that special olympian will be!

Thank you for your sweet words of encouragment and for your prayers. I am so humbled by your generosity and your kindness. Blessings to you and your family!