“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Truth - For the 2nd Time!

My dear beloved natural-born Sister (yes, with a capital S!) is on a plane at this very minute to visit me whilst dearest hubby is in Africa. As I plan for her arrival, I started getting a little frantic.. and then it made me think about all my piles around the house... there is just NOT enough time to put them all away... what to do?!

This post from August 21st came to mind!

***************************************************

Disclaimer: This post is not for the faint of heart. If you intend to keep me on a pedestal, please read no further!

I don't make my bed everyday. Okay, I maybe make my bed once a week. Well, the truth is that it might not really officially be called "making" my bed... It is more like straightening the covers.

I don't do the dishes every day. I like to let them pile up and then put them into the dishwasher at one time because I have a whole logical schematic as to which items go where.

I have piles of clutter around my house at this very moment. When-am-I-going-to-read-these-books pile. Where-do-I-file-these-papers pile. Need-to-put-this-stuff-in-the-car pile.

But if I knew you were coming over... I would most likely do the dishes. I would definitely throw all my piles of clutter into a laundry basket and shove it in the laundry room. And I might... just might... on a good day... straighten my bed, but most likely... well, the plain truth is... I would just shut the bedroom door.

I had some darling ladies over my home a couple months back. After having visited my home, one of my precious ladies told me that she saw my piles! She actually went looking for them. It relieved her to know that I had piles. Because she has her own piles, and she wondered what other people did with their piles.

Now, mind you, I don't always have piles. I'm pretty organized by most standards. Most of the time I have piles because I want to make sure everything ends up where I can find it at a later date.

I don't hide my piles because I want to impress you. I hide them because I don't want to be distracted by them while you are here. I don't want you to be distracted by them either. It's not that I'm trying to be someone that I'm not... It's just that when you are in my home... I want it to be a haven to you.

I guess I do this in other areas of my life. I may not always greet you with my piles in tow... I may appear to have things together... but I do this because... I want to be a haven to you... whether in my home or in my heart.

I want you to feel free to come over and peek in the laundry room and see my piles. I encourage you to do so. You can even take a peek into the sink... if you must. But in all honesty, when you peek into my bedroom... you'll find the bed unmade... because... well, isn't that what matching bed sheets were made for?

9 comments:

elizabeth embracing life said...

I must say, as a designer, I have said for the better part of my career, when your bedding and sheets are darling, adorable, and fancy you never have to make your bed. I subscribt to that thought.

I take all my piles, and carry them into my office where I am comforted by my piles. However I am not much for piles around the house because I like to sort them sitting at my desk or on my floor.

Oh and my husband can not stand piles, thus my main reason for keeping them contained. It does make him happy when he comes home to a mess of toys to know that we do live here, but not so hip on piles.

Piles ryhmes with smiles and that I have after reading your blog. Piles of smiles from across the short miles.

gideonmommasita said...

What a comfort your post brought to my life. While I have been trying to make my bed everyday, there are piles of socks, clothes, sewing stuff, computer parts....in my room.

a portland granny said...

I would say, forget your piles and just enjoy your sister. How fun for you that she can visit! You girls have fun!!

Kathy said...

You just made people like me feel so much better. I sometimes feel bad because I am not a perfect housekeeper, but knowing other people have "piles" too makes me feel so much better!

Carissa said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing. I feel more normal now.

Deborah said...

Is there a contest for the person with the most piles? I think I would be at the top rankings for that one. Piles are everywhere in my home. When company comes, I too move them around and threaten anyone to open that door! They are comforting. I take so much stuff to work with me that I think that I might get a chance to go through and it comes home with the without ever being touched. We area all crazy! But we all offer a haven for others trying to be "perfect" and that is what it's all about. Thanks for making me not feel so bad about my piles.

Kentucky Bound said...

You are human! You are wife, mother, church lady, blogger . . . . . . you have learned to prioritize your life! Why make the bed, you're only going to get back into it again, right?

You are still on the pedestal I have placed you on and there you will stay!

Blessings and hugs from the creek!

just lisa said...

That is how my house is too!!! LOL

I have those same piles like that - not really messy - just stuff I need to do or take of. And, I have closed my bedroom door on occasion too....okay maybe quite a bit...I hate making my bed!! :-(

Enjoy your special time with your sister....she is just going to be happy to spend time with you!!

Grace said...

hahhaahaha...my father used to always ~ ALWAYS ~ make a big demonstration of peeking under people's beds when we were visiting. Usually, they would laugh. But not always... :)