“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, February 7, 2009

altars

"Memory" Book

For some reason, I am enthralled with the altars that are built in the Old Testament. Often built with only the intent of remembering what God had done. After Noah left the ark. After Abram (later Abraham) received the covenant. After the Israelites had passed through the Red Sea.

So that if they ever passed by that way again, they would see the altar and remember what the Lord had done. That He had been faithful. That He keeps His promises.


And I am drawn to building an altar. Or placing a "memory stone" as Henry Blackaby speaks of in "Experiencing God." To remember what God has done. Because I am prone to forget.


I found this memory book kit... and I thought... wouldn't this be a great way to capture the scriptures I am memorizing throughout this year? Instead of photos, I could fill it with the 24 scriptures that will define my spiritual growth in 2009. A Scripture Memory Book.


A Scripture Memory Book... an altar... a memory stone.
For 2009. Small. Simple. Reminder.


And I thought of you. I thought... you might like to have one of these memory books, too. Perhaps you'll use it as an altar. A reminder of something God has done in your life.

If you're interested in having this precious mini-memory book kit, leave a comment on this post. In your comment, tell me about one of the times that God did something in your life... that is worthy of an altar. I'll use random.org to pick the winner on Sunday evening.

Then come, let us go up to Bethel,
where I will build an altar to God,
who answered me in the day of my distress and
who has been with me wherever I have gone.
Genesis 35:3 NIV

Updated 2/9... Contest closed. Congratulations to Vintage Girl at Heart!

6 comments:

a portland granny said...

What a pleasant surprise to see your memory book and what a wonderful idea. I had been toying with the idea of doing a page a week this year, without pictures, just words and bling, but I ran out of steam before it got started. This will indeed be an altar of remembrance for you the rest of your life.

Thanks for your sweet note on my post. My one day a week will be done near St. Vincent's, so maybe that would be a possibility for a 'cuppa' or something, when I finish up--I do not have a schedule yet.

Vintage Girl at Heart said...

So pretty!! It will be all the more sweet with your scriptures and special touches!!
Blessings to you!

gideonmommasita said...

Oohhh, Ahhh, you have made time for something so lovely! My mom made a stones of rememberance with pictures about family treasures she owns. I think that is what she did but now I can't remember...too many stones in my head rolling around. Don't throw my name in the pot but God showed himself mighty to me durring the hurricanes of '04, our ruined house, homelessness and collapse of my husbands business, all when baby #4 arrived. Oh, I know that when we passed through those waters He was with us.

bp said...

This is such a wonderful idea. I meant to enter and did not! It will be a treasure to look back at the verses from the year.

elizabeth embracing life said...

wow, that is just beautiful. I have lots of scrap fabrics and am going crazy this week with ideas. I am going to make up one of these. I have always loved how my daughter writes out her favorite scriptures and posts them in an artful way around her room.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Sorry I missed the contest, but still wanted to tell you what a fantastic idea this is! I think I'll go looking for a similar book.

One of my memory stones occurred last year in April when God allowed me to preach 3 revival services in Myrtle Beach. It was an amazing confirmation of his grace and love for me. In a million years, I never thought I would be given such a gift.

Priceless to me.

peace~elaine