“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Is There a Difference between
Following God
and
Following God's Plan?


I'm sitting here... studying and praying, as I prepare to teach on Abigail next week... when I followed a little "rabbit trail"... to a study on David. And when I read it, I thought...

I know someone who needs to hear this...

and perhaps you do, too...

"Instead of taking matters into his own hands, David's first response after the death of Saul is to inquire of the Lord. He is following God, not following his own ambition, or even following God's plan. Often, we act as if God's primary interest is in us accomplishing His plan,

when in fact,

He wants us simply to follow Him.

The results are in His hands.

There is a difference between following God and following God's plan.

We must seek for God's will to be done in God's way, and that is what David did."

- David: A Heart to Follow God (Lesson 2) in Following God: Life Principles from the Kings of the Old Testament

So, today as you are struggling with God's will for your life... I want you to consider... are you more concerned with following God's plan... or simply following God?

I'm right there with you, sisters!

7 comments:

Patti said...

Good words. I am pondering.

gideonmommasita said...

A good word never goes out of season. I had a similar discussion on Tuesday with my friend who has cancer.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

This reminds me of something Beth Moore said once...

(loose translation)...

Keep following after Jesus day after day, seeking him in his word. Then, when you least expect it, you'll run smack dab into his calling for your life.

I've thought about that a lot lately. I think that my calling is simply to be completely God's. The rest will come, but on days when I don't know what else to do...I just keep to him and my pursuit therein.

He always brings me peace.

Have a great weekend. ~elaine

Deborah said...

Such wise words that I needed to hear. Thank you for your prayers.

Patti said...

Yes yes, I have been blogging for years on Xanga but ditched it and started a new one for my Emersyn when I was about 4 months pregnant or so here on Blogger. It is so much more convenient then scrapbooking, plus, gives me a chance to share my thoughts which is fun too! Yay for the blogging community! :)

Kristi said...

Hey girlie! I'm just stopping by to say hello. What wonderful Words of wisdom you shared.

Thank you for your prayers for Rachel and our family. You are a blessing and I just wanted you to know that today!

elizabeth embracing life said...

I always think that it's just waking up and seeking to be part of who God is and the rest will take care of itself. Great words today sista'.