“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

What Was I Thinking?

...when I chose my scripture verses?

Verse 1: Isaiah 43:2 NIV
January 1st. I thought... I'll pick a verse that was important to me in the past.

I remember being at church for a prayer meeting on a Wednesday evening. Perhaps around March 2006? One of our friends, Jeff P., had went up front to share a verse... he didn't know why he shared it. He just felt compelled to do so. And I was on my feet before I realized it... with my heart in my throat. Reaching into my pocket I pulled out a scrap of paper that had Isaiah 43:2 written on it. Pastor Dave asked women to come down and pray for me. It was the first time I really remember having people surround me in prayer during my depression. It was a glimpse of hope.


Verse 2: Psalm 121:3-4 NIV

January 15th. By the time we were to pick out our second verse, I had watched Beth's mini-tutorial about RENEW (see this post). I was struck with the fact that it is helpful to memorize scripture you NEED. So, on January 15th, I thought... what verse WILL I need during the next two weeks? Wow! Being pro-active... you know I love it!

What was ahead of me... Anthony leaving for Ethiopia... and the inauguration. I asked the Lord to show me a verse that captured His care for me during Anthony's trip... and His concern for the changing times. Looking back... I can see where I was being a demanding, but God is faithful!

Verse 3: Mark 9:28-29 KJV
February 1st. Sometimes I think that what I bring to the table is enough. That I know what to pray... or what to say... or what the Lord would want me to do... in certain situations. Basically, a feeling of pride... "It's okay, God... I can handle this one from here."

But lately, I have been in situations that I can't handle. That when I come to the proverbial table... I've got nothing. No words. No thoughts. Nothing. Nothing, but God. And so, during these past few days, I have been brought back to the realization that there really are some things... well, many things... that I can do absolutely nothing about... except pray.

I decided to use the King James Version of this verse because it included "and fasting." Some versions do not include these two little words. Although I am not someone who "fasts" per se, those two little words add a punch to the verse. "Prayer and fasting" to me means... more than a little popcorn prayer that I throw up to God and say, "Help!" It reminds me that sometimes, there are situations that require more intense time in prayer. A more intense time of realizing that I shouldn't be trying to "cast out demons" without first going to the Lord in prayer.

And so, I have found out that there is much more to memorizing scripture than... well, memorizing scripture. There is an incredible, awesome God with this amazing plan who keeps His promises... who keeps me close... and who reminds me that in all things I can turn to Him and He hears me. Thank you, God!



3 comments:

Grace said...

I'm so proud of you!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I love your walk through these verses and how you're posting them. My 3rd verse is Deuteronomy 30:19-20 (I'll try a loose version of it here...remember, I'm still learning it).

"This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now...

choose life so that you and your children might live and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the LORD is your life and he will give you many years in the land he sword to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob."

Not sure that is perfect, but pretty darn close, and I need it friend!

Choose LIFE. Choosing him today. I know that you are too.

peace~elaine

Daughter of Zion said...

I am reading "prayer" by Richard Foster. If you can get hold of this book or his Celebration of Discipline, I think it will be of tremendous value to where you are right now.
God is drawing you deeper and deeper to Him, and both these books are so helpful when walking on new territory.