“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Affect of Wholesome Fruit


"Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth..."
Ephesians 4:29a NASB

I've been meditating on my current memory verse. I keep thinking about the word "unwholesome" and what it means.

In other versions of the Bible, the word unwholesome (in this verse) is translated as:
  • corrupt
  • foul and abusive
  • corrupting
The Greek word for corrupt is sapros. Meaning:
  • rotten, putrefied
  • corrupted by one and no longer fit for use, worn out
  • of poor quality, bad, unfit for use, worthless
When used multiple times by Jesus in the New Testament, He was normally discussing a tree bearing forth fruit.

It makes me think about my cherry trees in the back yard. Cherries often grow in clusters. And when one cherry starts to become rotten it corrupts the other fruit that is growing in close proximity. Before it is time to harvest the cherries, I spend a fair amount of time plucking out the rotten cherries before they contaminate their neighbors.

The English Standard Version of the Bible translates unwholesome as corrupting. That sounds like an active word. It is not enough for it to be corrupt within itself. It is also affecting the others around it. Whether it intends to or not.

I'm just wondering... if my unwholesome talk can affect those around me... what could my wholesome talk do? May my words enrich those who are in my cluster... and beyond!

8 comments:

Deborah said...

I love all of your insights. I just read throug the last few posts and thought...wow...what a wise women. Thanks for being an encourager.

I'm thinking Houston might sound good next year, but no one from that I know is going....but you know, I've got really good friends going that I would love to met. Keep encouraging.

~~Vintage Girl At Heart~~ said...

Happy Spring!! Your cherries and insight are a breath of fresh air!!
xoxo

bp said...

This is so true, sometimes I say nothing yet what value would it have added if I had said something wholesome. Great point!

elizabeth embracing life said...

I love your picture. I remind myself everyday through parenting.."are you words being helpful or hurtful", which I must practice myself. Thanks for sharing.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

You bet it can! I think about how it makes me feel when others are "corrupting" me (unintentionally I suppose) with their harsh remarks about "whatever." I need to do better, in public and at home.

And by all means, ditch the rotten cherries in preservation for the bunch. I love cherries!

peace~elaine

Ms.Daisy said...

Sheri,
Sometimes words are taken the wrong way and whenever possible we must remember to clarify what we really meant to say (for me, at least!) Thanks for some good, thoughtful posts.
Yes, please, link to that post. G. Lewis is a friend who lent me the piece from a talk she gave.
~Jean

just lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
just lisa said...

Another thing I am working on in my life. Being an example with my mouth and not gossiping, complaining, etc... It's easy to sometimes to get caught up at work with it all.

I also love what elizabeth said in her comment, "I remind myself everyday through parenting.."are your words being helpful or hurtful", which I must practice myself."

Very good advice for me too. Thanks for having your blog Sheri - your cherries look delish!! Take Care!