“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Are You Thinking Without Speaking?


It is often that I speak without thinking.
But I'm wondering...
how often do I think without speaking?

How often have I had the words of life to speak to someone... and yet withheld them? I'm not just talking about witnessing... I'm talking about encouragement.

I'm currently listening to a presentation by author Linda Dillow. She is speaking on the words we use... or don't use. And this is how I came upon my current memory verse:

Let no unwholesome word
proceed from your mouth,

but only such a word
as is good for edification
according to the need
of the moment,

so that it will give grace
to those who hear.

Ephesians 4:29 NASB

Don't miss this part of the verse... "so that it will give grace to those who hear." When I am presented with an opportunity to edify or encourage someone at the right timing and I withhold those words... well, can I be so bold as to say that it it possibly a sin of omission?

11Therefore encourage one another
and build each other up,
just as in fact you are doing.
1 Thessalonians 5:11 NIV


13But encourage one another daily,
as long as it is called Today,
so that none of you may be hardened
by sin's deceitfulness.
Hebrews 3:13 NIV


24And let us consider how we may
spur one another on
toward love and good deeds.

25
Let us not give up meeting together,
as some are in the habit of doing,
but let us encourage one another
and all the more as
you see the Day approaching.
Hebrews 10:24-25 NIV


And so today, I am compelled to encourage you to start speaking... encouraging... edifying... and you might be saying, but I'm too shy or I'm too young or I wouldn't know what to say or it's not my place, but I'm wondering... whose place is it?

...and all the more as you see the Day approaching... We need encouragement, now, more than ever. Could your words be the balm that a hurting soul needs today? Could your words be the inspiration that someone needs to draw closer to the Lord? Could your words be the strength that a young mom needs to hear?

My challenge to you today... is

Are you thinking without speaking?

8 comments:

gideonmommasita said...

As I read the first part of the verse the "giving Grace" section caught my attention and I was so excited when that became your focus. Correction or fixing someone's problem is often my first thought when sharing grace should be. Thanks for the encouraging word.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Words of grace, blessing and life! No finer gift can be given a soul.

Beautiful picture to go with.

peace~elaine

beloved Mama said...

good post...just a word for me

Tamra said...

Tim and I were discussing this very verse a few days ago!!

Anonymous said...

Great food for thought so to speak!!! Hope you are having a Blessed week!!!
vintage girl

bp said...

I didn't read the title correctly for this post, I switched the thinking and speaking in my head. Thank you for sharing, it has made me think.

Thank you for your prayers and encouragement.

Bethany

Tammy said...

Excellent post and such food for thought. thanks for getting my heart to thinking.

Journey Of Faith said...

How timely :D I am reminded of the great wisdom of 'only such a word' in challenging circustances.... thanks for the post!