“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Good Friday 1999


A note to Christopher written 10 years later:

April 2nd, 1999
Good Friday

I am three weeks away from giving birth to you. After months of pre-postpartum counseling, I am still afraid of the change that is to occur. Terrified. FEARFUL.

I attend Good Friday Service at our church. It is a small gathering in the old chapel. I am sitting in the back. Communion is served.

As I take communion, I realize that you are taking communion, too. We are taking communion together. And I think... we would never have this opportunity, again.

After months of feeling distant from you... I suddenly feel as if we have bonded. We have shared something. Something intimate and private.

And I thank God for that moment. That realization. Something now that is embedded in my heart and soul.

And although... you would never remember this moment, I will... the rest of my life. And it would be a remembrance of God's love for me... and you.


...and when he had given thanks,
he broke it and said,
"This is my body,
which is for you;
do this in remembrance of me."
In the same way,
after supper he took the cup,
saying, "This cup is
the new covenant in my blood;
do this, whenever you drink it,
in remembrance of me."
1 Corinthians 11:24-25 NIV

3 comments:

a portland granny said...

Thanks for sharing that most precious memory with us.

gideonmommasita said...

Immediately you took me back to my first pregnancy and those same feelings in the little chapel we attended. Precious

Deborah said...

such precious memories