“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

We Do Not Consider Ourselves a Christian Nation

"One of the great strengths of the United States is ... we have a very large Christian population -- we do not consider ourselves a Christian nation or a Jewish nation or a Muslim nation. We consider ourselves a nation of citizens who are bound by ideals and a set of values." -- President Obama, April 6, 2009
I have to admit that this quote by President Obama struck me hard. I thought, is it true? Do we really not consider ourselves a Christian nation? I thought we had... Well, I guess I did.

And when I did a search on this quote, I found a blog where atheists were commenting over and over about their jubilation that the president would say what they've known all along...

It made me wonder... even more... are we in the "end times"? And I thought you might be wondering that very question, too.

Our senior pastor, Ray Noah, recently completed a series entitled "24: Are We Living In The End Times?" And although a series like this might normally scare people away... I found it comforting and insightful and PRACTICAL.

His basic premise is
Prophecy is given not only for predictive purposes, but to prepare and to purify God's people for the future, and to make them proactive in the world while they wait for Christ's return. Prophecy is practical; it is meant to make a difference in a believer's life today!
You can find the sermon series and print handouts at PCCTODAY.COM.

I wish I would have told you about this series sooner. If you are unable to download the sermons and would like the series on CD, please let me know. Part 9 is a Q&A session about the end times.
To find congruence between a loving God and a place of eternal damnation, believers must realize that judgment is first redemptive before it is punitive. When redemption is rejected, Divine punishment will be irrevocably punitive. Hell will not be filled with those who are remorseful and repentant, but with those who are eternally defiant. - Pastor Ray Noah

5 comments:

a portland granny said...

This is a very interesting post...with a subject I have been pondering for the last two plus months. Sometimes, I feel as if I am seeing the book of Revelation falling into place before my eyes!

I have faltered in my courage to face tomorrow...and I am thinking your pastor's sermons on this subject might be the very thing I need.

I enjoyed going to the website. I have been in that church many times over the years for special events!!

The time has come for us to do lunch! I need a listening ear!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I think Obama called it right; if it were otherwise, if we were, in fact, a solidly Christian nation concerned about the cause of Jesus Christ, then we wouldn't be putting up with the nonsense going on around us. Washington would look a whole lot different. I do think we're in the beginnings of our birth pains, and as all labors go, once we reach the half-way point, the acceleration to the end moves fast forward.

I'm not scared. I'm ready, friend. God keep me faithful for that which remains...whether long life or short.

peace~elaine

journey of faith said...

I live in a bubble!! I had no idea our president made this comment!

However, it really does seem that we are near the end... I'm not afraid, in fact, some days I'm more ready than others :D... but, how my heart aches for those close to me to turn to Jesus before the end comes...

Thanks again for a such a great post!!

Deborah said...

I think it would be better stated that people think we live in a Christian nation...but we don't act like it. We like the title but don't want the conviction.

My grandmother always preached the end times, not to scare us but to make us aware that our neighbors and loved ones that don't know Christ...need to know today and I might be the one that God wants to use to tell them.

Poet said...

I think in the best interests of unity it is better not to consider ourselves a Christian nation on the grounds of allowing complete religious liberty. God gave mankind a free will. The best way to share Christianity is not through laws and government, but through our lives as examples.

I am glad for all the people who make up my country, including Jews, Mormons, Catholics, Protestants, and many other faiths or variations of our faith. May God lead us all into His truth, and free us of our preconceptions.