“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, May 2, 2009

6 Words: Page 5
Whose Approval Am I Seeking Today?

This is Page 5 in a series of 12 pages of notes that I took at the Beth Moore Living Proof Live Conference in Portland, April 17-18. My intent is to review my notes... and by blogging them... I am holding myself accountable. See 6 Words for more details.

Sheri's Journal Notes


Friday Night Continued

Supporting Obstacle:
I'm Too Enslaved
to Others Approval.

Am I now trying to win
the approval of men, or of God?
Or am I trying to please men?
If I were still trying
to please men,
I would not be a servant of Christ.
Galatians 1:10 NIV


When I try to please others, I become a bond slave to their approval. Enslaved.
Greek Word: doulos - bond slave
Essentially, I am bowing down to them when I seek to please them! YIKES!

There is a fine line between love and hate.
Who is it you need to approve of you?

We do not seek the disapproval of others because one word from them... POP! Our ego is shattered.

Seeking their approval is "playing into their vanity."

The busiest people may be subject to affirmation! (Okay, she is so talking to me!)


Supporting Objective:
God's Approval:
Captivity Morphs Into Liberty.

How foolish can you be?
After starting your Christian lives
in the Spirit,
why are you now trying
to become perfect
by your own human effort?

Galatians 3:3 NLT

What have I started in the Spirit that I have now tried to perfect by my own effort? Whether it is a ministry... or a friendship... or my life in Christ?


Our homework for Friday evening: When you arrived around 6pm tonight, what would be the 6 Words that would define my mindset at that time?
Trying To Help God.
Not Working.

3 comments:

gideonmommasita said...

Was the 6 word phrases easy for you to come up with or did you have a whole page of re-writes? Your Christmas carol rewrites were very clever so I'm thinking this is just one more thing that you excel at. Was this comment defeating the purpose of revealing approval seeking?

elizabeth embracing life said...

Relaxing in the Spirt. That is what I think of when reading this blog. Not lazy in the Spirit, but relaxing, knowing that there is no one person who walks the face of this earth that can approve us more than God Himself. Our efforts are always vain, self seeking=approval if not done for His kindom. Did God smile at me today? Was I seeking the smile, the glance, and the approval of another based on my actions. Today I was not seeking the fashion approval. I should have. Showing up at the mall unexpected so my boys could play and bumping into a dear friend, who also was not seeking fashion approval. Approval seeking comes in so many different styels and colors.

Thanks for sharing your hearts process of this conference.

Kristi said...

What an incredible post! That Bethie is pretty incredible. So many of us struggle w/ the approval of man. Thank you for sharing your beautiful, honest heart with all of us. You are a blessing!