“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Monday, May 4, 2009

6 Words: Pages 6-7
Each Of Us Is An Original

This is Pages 6-7 in a series of 12 pages of notes that I took at the Beth Moore Living Proof Live Conference in Portland, April 17-18. My intent is to review my notes... and by blogging them... I am holding myself accountable. See 6 Words for more details.

***a side note... the 6 word obstacles and objectives were given by Beth Moore at the conference.


Sheri's Journal Notes


Saturday Morning Begins!

Beth wants us to get the image of Jesus within us. Literally. That He is able to stand up fully inside us. Because our ego is out of the way. So that we are "morphing" into Jesus.

My own ego betrays me. And it is the worst betrayal.

God's approval is easier to get than others.
Don't take on more than God has given me.

Supporting Obstacle:
Crucified Ego Means
Other People Win.
In Competition
Even Paul felt a tinge of competition when he called James, Peter and John "super-apostles" in 2 Corinthians 11:5, 12:11 ESV.

Galatians 2:9-10 Paul talks of James, Peter and John as "reputed to be Pillars"... previously Abraham, Isaac and Jacob had been referred to as pillars.

We need to be raising up others to take our place. Or do I feel threatened by the giftings of others? Why would I want to be competing with others?

Galatians 5:21 The Message
"the vicious habit of depersonalizing everyone into a rival"

Am I threatened easily?
Do I like gifted people?

Galatians 5:26 The Message
"...That means we will not compare ourselves with each other as if one of us were better and another worse. We have far more interesting things to do with our lives. Each of us is an original."

Each one is an original.
Self-absorption is miserable!
When we start to feel the competition creep up... We need to say "crucify that" -quick!

In outright conflict

Galatians 2:11-14 "I opposed him to his face...in front of them all..."

We mess up-- admit it! fess up! I did that!
We need to own our stuff!
Check our ego---
Don't Be The Person You Can't Stand!

In Criticism
Have I been wounded or offended by criticism?
How easily am I put off?
How easily do I quit?
Rehearsing criticism... "Oh, Lord, I feel it! Crucify my ego, fast!"

Check the criticism.
Is it valid? True?
Then check my heart and be humbled by it.

We often don't think to compliment... only to criticize.
Crucify self over it... "I win!" Well, actually... everybody wins!

Supporting Objective:
Morph Into Someone
Who Miraculously Loves.
Who do we love that we know without God we would not even befriend?
Only Jesus would have brought us together?



**** Again, thanks for bearing with me... sometimes these notes seem random, but they make sense to me... and I am so gleaning from my notes...

3 comments:

bp said...

I had to play catch-up with your posts. Thanks for continuing to share them. So many of the things really speak to my heart.

a portland granny said...

I am in awe of your note taking abilities! As I read through this post for the second time today, it hit home. Last night I was at a dinner party and a person made a very critical remark to me. I allowed it to crush me momentarily and have some very reactive dialog in my mind. Thankfully, the Lord gave me the grace to seal my lips. But it was hard and I allowed it to ruin the first part of the dinner for me. I see a need for growth in that area....as well as many others!

Thanks for this great sharing!

gideonmommasita said...

"Crucified Ego Means
Other People Win." This adult language for "plays well with others," or "be a good sport"...something I try to teach my kids but continually fail at with my own application. Great job on the notes!