“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Sunday, May 24, 2009

feeling self-conscious about knitting


Whenever I travel back to Maryland to visit my family, I stop by a cute little shop in Funkstown, Maryland. Y2Knit. I always pick up some yarn or patterns. At Christmas I saw this reversible stripe scarf and I thought it would be a good challenge for me.

What I didn't realize was that it is essentially knitting two scarves at the same time. One side is vertical stripes and the other side horizontal. It took me forever to complete. I did learn new techniques, but I have to say its peculiarness was not worth the time.

Then I thought... hmmm... I have a little extra yarn so maybe I'll make a hat to match. Stopped by Northwest Wools in Multnomah and found a similar fiber. Set about knitting and realized that the colors didn't really match. So, I tear the hat apart and try to weave in the colors.

I'm not thrilled with it... so then I decided to try to make mittens... well, it's almost June... so, I've given up!


I made this scarf for a friend and tried to match a sweater she likes... I made it with the ends throughout the scarf... again, rip! and made it with the ends falling at the beginning and end of the row. It's fun but not what I imagined.


Okay, well, I adore this scarf. It is to go along with everyone's favorite ILG (I Look Good) Hat. Of course, I'm a little hesitant to give it to the recipient because I tried to be artsy and use a different shade on the ends.


Wow! Talk about self-conscious! It's a theme for me... whatever shall I do to overcome it?

5 comments:

vintage at heart said...

I love them all!!!

gideonmommasita said...

The scarves I made for Christmas presents I was embarrassed to give away...but my knitting is rudimentary at best...yours look perfectly lovely, thanks for sharing pictures of your handiwork!

Anonymous said...

I'm wishing there was an asterisk by the word recipient! The scarf is beautiful and I'm into artsy!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

You win here! I can barely sew a button. It all looks lovely to me.

peace~elaine

Anonymous said...

I think every knitter is self conscious about her work, you are not alone in that. Perhaps because we want it to convey a certain something, how we feel about the recipient or even a little of what went into it. I think your work is lovely. My mom says my knitting is much like her basket weaving...we make things Amish, no two are supposed to be alike!