“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Leaking Window:
My Second Anniversary

Where It All Started

Tomorrow I celebrate my second year of blogging! To commemorate our anniversary, I'll retell the tale of how "The Leaking Window" arrived at its name.

Also, please stop by yesterday's post and leave a 6 Word comment... to be entered to win a prize. I'll announce the winner tomorrow.


In May of 2007, I entered the world of blog. My sister-in-law's blog, FreckledFarm was my inspiration. I love Cammyk's beautiful pictures and unpretensious posts, and I'm not alone in that thought.


Just like any other blogger, I wanted to name my blog something... well, thought-provoking, curious... or even cute. With much consideration, Christopher suggested "CheeseyWheesey." Although cute, clever, and high in protein, it wasn't the trademark moniker that I had envisioned.


Around the same time Christopher had a field trip to the Portland Classical Chinese Gardens. During the tour the guide explained to us about these curious windows throughout the garden. Each window has "a unique design depicting nature or a geometric pattern." The windows leak a view. Lan Su Yuan Leak Windows -- a “'borrowed view,' sharing a glimpse of the verdant beauty that lies beyond."

Well, I thought that was just the blog name I was looking for! Letting people have a glimpse into my life through a "window." How perfect... and to be part of a garden... well, you know how I feel about gardening...

7 comments:

Deborah said...

Happy anniversay!!! That is so cool how you got your blog name. I choose mine off a spin on my last name, Boutwell. When I started my blog, I didn't feel so "well" I was "about crazy". I'm in a better mind set now...but I kept the name.

magicalmeals said...

Sheri, what an amazing blog! Wow! I am totally blown away, not that I expected anything less, mind you. I merely compare it to my meagre attempts using the oh-s0-overused template. (It pains me not to invent the wheel.) I am practically out of time for the moment--Logan is in need of some firm encouragement in the teeth-brushing department--but I am enticed by your offer for a prize for a six-word submission. Let's see...what can my brain curn out in 30 seconds or less?
Shepherding my flock morning and night
Kia come schoolbus runs daily--reliable!
Carpools, cleats and projects, oh my
Run, sweat, run, sweat, run. Repeat.

Times up!

a portland granny said...

Two years goes by quickly. I was glad to reread how you took your name. It is really a lovely thought!

Happy second anniversary!!

Ms.Daisy said...

Sheri,
Congratulations on your second anniversary! I passed my first anniversary on May 8th and I didn't even think to comment on it - oh well, my 100th post is coming up very soon!

~Jean

Tammy said...

Sheri,
you are an amazing woman and I love reading your posts and peeking in the window. Happy Anniversary my friend.

bp said...

Congrats on another anniversary of blogging!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

And now I know. A perfect fit, Sheri. Congrats on two years! I hope I can hold on that long.

Love you.

peace~elaine
PS: My son walks the stage in the morning. My heart is most tender tonight.