“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Me, Myself & Lies: What's In Your Closet?


The Summer Siesta Bible Study has begun! We had our first group meeting this week and started digging into our workbooks. Wow!

Jennifer Rothschild addresses our self-talk. How we tend to "put on" whatever is in our "thought closet." If we think we are insignificant or unworthy or unloved... when we reach into our thought closet... we have easy access to these lies. If we know by reading God's word that we are precious to God or significant or wonderfully and thoughtfully made... we can reach into our thought closet and pull out the truth... God's truth.

I love this analogy about a thought closet... it has made me think about what is in my clothes closet:
My prom gown from my senior year of high school
My graduation gown from my college graduation
My great-grandmother's coat which is probably about 100 years old
A gold sweater that I've never looked good wearing
White sandals that hurt when I wear them
... these are all items that I will never wear. Yet, I keep them with the clothes that I wear everyday. Why is that?

I shove them to the back of the closet... so I can't see them, but they are still there. Right alongside the jeans that "fit" (LOL) or the purple sweater that accentuates my eyes or my all-American white t-shirts. What is my reasoning for holding on to these items?

And what is truly my reasoning for keeping the lies in my thought closet... right next to the truth that I read in God's word?

So, over the next few weeks, I think I will be literally cleaning out a couple of my closets. Purging those items which I will never wear. And it will be a reminder to me of the need to clean out my thought closet... so that there will be plenty of room for all of the thoughts that my heavenly Father thinks of me.

And so... how about you? What's in your closet?

9 comments:

a portland granny said...

My closet is too full! I've begun the sorting process--somewhat painful and revealing, but so happy you challenged me to take this journey!

Tammy said...

well my closet needs some cleaning out...it has been a revealing week what hides in the closet. A challenge that I am looking forward to seeing what happens in the upcoming weeks.

gideonmommasita said...

I need someone to help me clean my closet...its contents are spilling out, maybe I should pick up the book.

Grace said...

I love the Scriptures you have on your blog. Beautiful and such an encouragement.

;)

Amy Liz said...

Great challenge and wonderful word picture to go with it!

Carol said...

I loved your closet analogy, and hope to make it to some of those studies on Tuesday. I am anxious to get started with my blog, too, but still not sure how to begin, so will talk to you soon about it.
Blessings.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Well, mostly clothes that fit; I've long since given up that pair of jeans I dreamed of wearing again! Also, a quilted jacket that "ancients" made for me when I first moved here, compiled of scraps of their own material. It is a bit snug now, but it's a good reminder of the love I've known while living here.

Just tonight, I had some pretty negative self-talk, telling my husband how lousy I was, how cranky and how "fake" I felt inside. He told me to stop; I kept it up for a while longer.

I know where it roots from; there always seems to be a thread of some truth in my ranting and raving. Some parts of me that still need work; I suppose there always will be. My perfectionist attitude refuses that possibility, thus the rub.

As for heading out to Oregon, I'd love to come sometime. The mountains would be lovely, but the friendships all the more. Truly, you all are more than I deserve.

Love you.

peace~elaine

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

PS: Tell me if you love this study. I need to be thinking about our Fall study as a group at our church.

~elaine

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Yes, me again. Can you tell I haven't been here in a while? For the record, I'm a white t-shirt girl too. Just wish I had the figure to go with. There goes that thought closet again.

~elaine