“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Sitting on the Ledge

Oasis

Looking unto Jesus
the author and finisher of [our] faith;
who for the joy that was set before him
endured the cross, despising the shame,
and is set down at the right hand
of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:2 KJV

During my Voluntary Quarantine one of the worst things I can do... is trust my feelings. For most of my life I thought that my feelings were facts. That's how I was raised. It was some hard lessons for me to change that mindset.

I'm currently listening to the book Lessons I Learned in the Dark by Jennifer Rothschild. She was discussing how Jesus had human emotions. How He struggled with human emotions. In Hebrews 12:2 it says that Jesus despised the shame.

Jennifer Rothschild suggested that if you look at the original Greek word for despising it is kataphroneĊ which means "to contemn, despise, disdain, think little or nothing of." Contemn meaning "to treat or regard with contempt." Disdain meaning "the feeling that someone or something is unworthy of one's consideration or respect."

Jesus did not regard his feelings as worthy of His consideration. He did not esteem them. He trusted in the Truth. The promise. Joy was set before Him.

When I take my emotions and feelings as fact, I act upon them. My emotions and feelings easily sway and are quite torrential right now. I cannot rely upon them. I need to rely upon the Truth.

If I would act upon my feelings right now... I would corrupt the rest of the parents on Christopher's ball team. I would drink multiple Venti WHOLE milk Carmel de Leche Lattes WITH whipped cream throughout the day. I would stay in bed. I would quit blogging. I would leave my church.

The other day I had to call Anthony to talk me off the ledge. I was about to send a scathing e-mail to someone who had dissed a project that my friend had worked on all year. I begged him to tell me the truth because I was hot. And he did. He reminded me that my friend hadn't asked me to defend her. That she could defend herself. That this was not my predicament.

And... it worked. I had to write what he said on a posty and stick it up in my car, but it did work.

For if our heart condemn us,
God is greater than our heart,
and knoweth all things.
1 John 3:20 KJV

Even our own heart can condemn us. But if we go to God... and ask Him to talk us off the ledge... He is faithful to do it. He knows all things. He is greater than our heart. He is greater than our emotions. He is Truth.

So, no worries, my friends... I am holding my tongue at the ballgames... I am welcoming each new day... I will continue blogging... and I LOOOOOOOVE my church!

But about that multiple Venti WHOLE milk Carmel de Leche Lattes WITH whipped cream throughout the day thing? Well, one wouldn't hurt... would it?



3 comments:

gideonmommasita said...

multiple...yes, one...no. But I would want a biscotti to go with it.

journey of faith said...

And we are only human and it's ok to feel things.... God - and our hubbies - are great for running to... their level-headedness balances out the emoting loves of their life :D Good post!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

If you were closer, we'd do a "venti" together. No worries.

peace~elaine