“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Sunday, August 30, 2009

but pray.

Ein Gedi, Israel

I have a couple prayers on my heart. The kind that make you wonder... is God bigger-than-this? type of prayers. The kind that break your heart and make you cry. And you can't stop crying... because you don't know how it will all work out. And there is nothing you can do...

but pray.

In Bill Hybel's Too Busy Not to Pray, I read the chapter Mountain-Moving Prayer. And after a day of distress... of being "accustomed to the darkness"... these words encouraged me tonight... and I thought perhaps some of you needed to read this, too.

Probably every human being alive is standing in the shadow of at least one mountain that just will not move:

A destructive habit,
a character flaw,
an impossible marriage or
work situation,
a financial problem,
a physical disability.

What is your immovable mountain?

Have you stood in its shadow for so long that you've grown accustomed to the darkness?
Do you end your prayers by thinking, What's the use?

I challenge you to shift the focus of your prayer.
Don't spend a lot of time describing your mountain to the Lord.
He knows what it is.

Instead, focus your attention on the mountain mover--
his glory,
power and
faithfulness.

Then start walking in faith, following his leading, and watch that mountain step aside.

~Bill Hybels, Too Busy Not to Pray: Slowing Down to Be with God


7 comments:

a portland granny said...

Thanks for the timely quote from Bill Hybill's book. It was exactly what I needed to bring my prayer life in focus--something I have a lot of angst over! This was exactly what I needed to read!!

David C Brown said...

It's good to know that He will move the mountain in His time, and to know that your prayer has been heard while you wait.

Ms.Daisy said...

Hi Sheri,
Love this...thanks for posting it. I really believe in the power of prayer...I've seen it work in my own life.


~Jean

bp said...

Thanks for sharing, this is a great idea to change the focus.

elizabeth embracing life said...

Our God He can move the mountains....I pray that the shadow of our mountains would NEVER be so comofortable that we refuse to move towards the Son.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Is that not something? Shifting our focus off the mountain and onto God's power in the matter. Not a new teaching, but one that "reads" fresh to my heart this day.

Contending with my content and finding God's peace therein...

peace~elaine

Amy said...

I really love this one - very timely for me. :)