“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, August 29, 2009

How to Become an Atheist

San Francisco skyline from within the confines of Alcatraz

Advertisements contain the only truths
to be relied on in a newspaper.
~ Mark Twain

While we were in San Francisco on vacation, I decided to pick up the complimentary copy of the New York Post that was put outside our door in the morning. I don't normally read the newspaper, but I thought it would be useful for breakfast reading material.

As I read through article after article that morning, I felt a sadness falling over me. How awful the world seems. How hopeless. Nothing positive. Nothing good. Just bad and getting worse.

And it hit me. If I read this paper every day, I think I would become an atheist. I mean... truly... if there is a good God... how could He let all of this happen? Where is He? And I think I'd rather think there was no God than a god that was impotent or uncaring.

It's not just the New York Post. It is how we find it necessary to broadcast every thing that is wrong and terrible and hurtful and negative. And that is not going to change.

I have to admit... after hearing the top news stories of the day... sometimes I just want to dig a hole and stick my head in it. Or grab all my loved ones and find somewhere to hide.

Then I realized... how important it is to me to read the Bible. It is where I learn about my Father's heart, about Hope and Truth. About the worldly patterns that repeat themselves. It is where I turn when I feel that nothing is ever going to change... that the world can't fix itself... that we can't put our hope into a person or government.

And that hoping for change won't do a thing. But changing because I know in whom I have my hope... well, now... that... that can truly make all the difference in the world.

...for I know whom I have believed,
and am persuaded that he is able
to keep that which I have committed
unto him against that day.
2 Timothy 1:12 KJV


God is unchanging in His love.
He loves you. He has a plan for your life.
Don't let the
newspaper headlines frighten you.
God is still sovereign;
He's still on the throne.
~ Billy Graham

4 comments:

bp said...

You're right. We have to make sure we are in the Word and filling our mind with truth.

Amy said...

So very true. It's amazing how different the world/our situations appear when we look at it/them through God's eyes.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Thanking God tonight for a perspective that breathes free beyond a prison window to remind me that all is not lost with Jesus! I'm with you on the "news". Let's not bury our heads and plead ignorance; let's keep informed, but more than the papers and the television, let's bury our hearts in the truth of God's Word.

You've so beautifully scripted this "admonition" here! Honestly, where would we be without the authority of Scripture to bathe our hearts with the good news?!

peace~elaine

Ms.Daisy said...

Very good observation! I do believe you are right. The Enemy would like us to be negative and down on everything every day...but if we keep God in sight and the Word by our side, we will overcome.

~Jean