“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, August 22, 2009

A true story.

Almost everyday I am in the garden watering the plants that do not receive the benefit from our sprinkler system. Last year I bought a hose that insisted on its packaging that it was "kink-free."

Liar.

This year, every day as I water... the hose kinks. Not just once. Not just twice. Multiple times. Delaying the amount of time necessary for watering as I have to go and "unkink" the hose.

I told my husband, "I am going to buy a new hose."

He asked if I felt that was a wise purchase considering the current economic crisis.

What I should have told him was that I would be helping stimulate the economy by buying a new hose.

I didn't.

So, I have decided to suffer with my kinked hose. Water. Kink. Stop. Unkink. Return. Water. Kink. Stop. Unkink. Return. Ad nauseam. My nauseam.

Until the other day. When I was ruminating a current situation. I felt the Lord prompt me, "Pray for this person/situation each time the hose kinks." I thought, "Are you kidding me?"















And so... Water. Kink. Stop. Pray. Unkink. Return. Water. Kink. Pray. Stop. Unkink. Return. Water.

And so it went. Until Tuesday night. When the hose decided that it was done being a hose and it just wanted to kink. Over and over and over and over and over and over. Until I said to the Lord that I thought I was done praying for this situation. Really! But I continued to pray because I thought... this person must really need it!

Wednesday morning I shared the story with a friend. And we prayed about it.

So, Wednesday night out to water. The hose did not kink once. I was so accustomed to praying for the situation that I still prayed, but was relieved by the lack of kinking.

And the next day. The hose did not kink once. I still prayed, but realized that I was truly feeling a sense of peace about the situation.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7 NIV

What's the moral of my story? Here's my encouragement... if you have something that consistently reminds you of how little things can really bug you, use it as a reminder to pray for someone. Use that irritation as a prompting from the Lord.

Maybe it is every time you have to do the dishes. Or change a diaper. Or pay a bill.

And who knows. Maybe they'll have to stop selling kink-free hoses.

9 comments:

Amy said...

So, so very good. Such a simple, yet very powerful lesson. God is in the kinks!

Tammy said...

thank you so much for these words. My heart has had a kink in it all week over something that hurt me deeply and I have been trying to let it go...now I realize I need to pray for those who hurt me and God will handle the rest. Thank you for this valuable lesson.

vintage at heart said...

:) I am going to do this!! Thank you for your daily bits of reminding us to be thankful.

a portland granny said...

I like your true story! Isn't it wonderful to see spiritual truths in everyday living??

I live with lots of kinks, but God is good in usually helping straighten them out....if I let him!!

Thanks again for another simple life lesson.

Do we get to see your cards?????

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Traffic.

The place where I often am reminded to pray for others because I hate traffic ... any measure of it. Plus, my radio/cd player is broken, has been for months (too cheap to get it fixed) and after singing myself bored, prayer is a nice departure from the noise!

I don't do plants, but I admire those of you who do... kinks and all.

Have a great week, friend.

peace~elaine

bp said...

This made me smile. Thank you for this idea. God bless you this week, friend.

elizabeth embracing life said...

So if I pray during my bill paying time do you think the bills will stop. Okay really this is so funny that I laughed. Faith building us each kink at a time. A kink in our agenda's, our process, and God's reminding to just bring to Him in prayer. Great post Sheri.

a journey of faith said...

What a great idea! I think I'll adopt this practice :D

Patti said...

This may be your best post ever!!! You go girl!!!