“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Esther: Week 1, Day 1


Our Ladies' Bible Study has just begun the Beth Moore study on the book of Esther. Although I was wanting to do the study as soon as it came out... I knew that there was a reason that we would have to wait a few extra months... you know I'm not a girl who believes in coincidences, right?

Just a few thoughts on Week 1, Day 1.

Top of page 12, Beth says, "God will write something new and unexpected of our own into His [story]." Okay, so I'm used to the "new" with God... but the "unexpected"... well, I'll just have to keep my eyes open!

Page 13, Beth reminds us of Romans 15:4 which she also discusses in the video segment.
"For everything
that was written in the past
was written to teach us,
so that through endurance and
the encouragement of the Scriptures
we might have hope."
What a powerful verse! Scriptures encourage us to have hope!

And then the "personal question"... what are you hoping for? And I thought... I'm hoping to act wisely in regards to a certain situation. But not only acting wisely now... but learning something from the situation, so that I don't go through my roller coaster of emotions, again... and so that I can help others who are going through something similar. And that is going to take "endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures"!

So, what about you? What are you hoping for?

4 comments:

Amy Slater said...

Love your thoughts! I just blogged about relevancy, coincidences and God's providence - things God spoke to my heart while listening to the Introductory session of Esther. Powerful stuff, isn't it?

Amy

Deborah said...

Esther was my all time favorite study. How strange that I am in the Daniel study, chapter 5, and Beth mentioned Esther (she said that the idea for Esther came while writing Daniel). Chpt 5 is a feast also.

bp said...

I always enjoy reading your thoughts when you are going through a study. I've not done Esther but always hear good things about it.

Robbyn said...

I loved that the most thing that came out of the beginning of this story is the scriptures are there to bring us hope and, as you said, there are no coincidences. Praise God for his words of Hope and his providence in our lives every day...even if we may not always remember.