“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Esther: Week 1, Day 3

Caesarea, Israel

But when the attendants delivered
the king's command,
Queen Vashti refused to come.

Then the king became furious
and burned with anger.
Esther 1:12 NIV


Refused.

We are not told why Queen Vashti refused the King's command. We can only surmise. We can study the opinions of historical scholars .

But in the end... it doesn't matter why she refused. It only matters that she refused. It is how she is remembered.

And the consequence is the same. No matter the reason.

Why do we feel the need to find a reason for her refusal? Justification?

Is it because we have been in a situation where we refused and were met with a determined consequence? But we felt we were justified?

Just wondering... How will I be remembered?

2 comments:

Robbyn said...

Wow. I just finished my blog on this and read yours. What a punch you packed. I hadn't even really looked at it that way since the homework was laid out to go over the situation and the possible reason. Your words are so powerful about the legacy outlasts the reasons. I am a person who always feel that people to need to know and understand my reasons. Your words are a wonderful reminder that in the end how I will be remember is what really matters. I will truly be on my knees tonight before God praying for Him to grant me the wisdom to live so that when I am remembered- it is only through Him and for His glory.

Sherrie said...

I LOVE IT! Day three, what a day it was..I too, felt the impact of your blog Sheri.
Why she did it, isn't as powerful as the actual long term repercussion it sent.
I came up with my own thoughts on why she did it. One of them came from personal experiences. She in my opinion wanted to send a message...and by doing this, it not only sent a message but also changed her destiny... We so many times do not realize the actions of our "First thoughts" and how they can impact our future. This made me really think about it..