“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Monday, September 21, 2009

Failure is an Option

I failed.

I was given a test... and I failed.

I trusted my feelings instead of trusting God.

Didn't I just finish a Bible Study about this very thing?

Now, I am dealing with the repercussions. The dreaded SELF-TALK. Thinking through what I should have done differently.

But the thing is... when I got my grade for the test, it was an A+.

Because out of my failure, I have another prime example of when I should have trusted God... and I love Him for showing me that.

That He is trustworthy. That He is faithful. That He does speak. That He is in the details.

So, as I spend the next couple days pondering the shoulda, coulda, woulda... God is preparing me for the gooda... oops I mean good.

So, just an FYI... I'm not sure you'd want to copy my answers on your next test.

Trust me on this...

Or should I say... Trust God!

Remember the two benefits of failure.
First, if you do fail, you learn what doesn't work;
and second, the failure gives you the opportunity
to try a new approach. ~ Roger Von Oech

3 comments:

a portland granny said...

Failure is an opportunity to learn. I'm sorry you're living this, but you know, you will come through this stronger and wiser.

.....also hope you can ignore the self-talk that isn't productive.

Love you.

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

Portland Granny is right. I am so grateful that all of my children failed at something when they were little because they later succeeded. Knowing that they could fail and that it would not be the end of the world but rather the steppingstone to future sense has allowed them to be both resilient and risk-takers. Failure is not bad. Even when we fail God, He knows that it is human, not intentional, not bad. He forgives us. He knows that we must learn, and this is one way to do it.

Good luck!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Been there, friend. But also recovered and have known the joy of learning and moving on. This is the cycle of our faith journey; getting back to the road and keeping a good memory regarding the lessons learned.

peace~elaine