“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

What If I am Praying for the Wrong Thing?


I took my troubles to the LORD;
I cried out to him,
and he answered my prayer.
~ Psalm 120:1, NLT

We knew something was wrong early on... but we just didn't know what to do about it. Even in preschool the teacher had mentioned that we needed to work with Christopher on hand-eye coordination. And so we did. No change.

When he entered kindergarten, we immediately saw that his handwriting and drawing were quite different than the rest. "Oh, he's a boy," we were often told. And so we waited. No change.

We took him to a two-week class in the summer between first and second grade which was to help with teaching your child handwriting techniques. No change.

Christopher's grades were good. He loved to read. What was I worried about?

A year and a half ago, at a new school, me and a couple moms started a prayer group. To pray for our children and our school. And my prayer for my son was about... handwriting. Every week pretty much... same request... a bit persistent... but not knowing what else to do.

And some of you may think... that's a lame request. Praying for your child's handwriting. Too small of a request. Too trite? Doesn't God have bigger prayer requests to answer?

But I felt compelled... to pray for my child. To seek the best for him. Because I had no answers. So, I went to the One who does.

Within a few months, we received a letter from Christopher's 3rd grade teacher. He was concerned about Christopher's handwriting. Perhaps it was dysgraphia? He suggested a thorough examination by a child psychologist. And so we did.

The examination detected some discrepancies in Christopher's ability to process information. And one of the recommendations was for Christopher to see a behavioral opthamologist. And so we did.

And another thorough examination. And I about cried. As I sat through the exam, I saw how it pinpointed Christopher's weaknesses and strengths in his vision. Not just 20-20, but were his eyes focusing on the same object at the same time. No, they weren't.

Things that I thought were simple, like using an addition table... were impossible for him. His eyes were not focusing in conjunction. He had been overcompensating which is why he had good grades, but sooner or later one of his eyes would have basically given up and allowed the other eye to override.

As we listened to the opthamologist, we found out that Christopher's literal lack of focus contributed to his lack of ability to focus in general. Too easily distracted. We discovered this contributed to hand eye coordination... which explained why on the first day of baseball practice he got hit in the face by a ball lobbed to him by his coach. We learned that he couldn't see the lines of his handwriting paper, so how could he write between the lines? or color within the lines?

There was so much more than we ever realized. And we didn't know that. All we knew was to pray... for his handwriting.

And you know what... God knew what I was asking for... even though I didn't have the right diagnostic codes for it. Even though some thought that I was bothering God with my request.

We had four months of intense visual therapy and exercises. And Christopher's handwriting? Well, some might not notice a difference, but we do. Better concentration. Better hand-eye coordination. The ability to write neater. The ability to use a math table. And more confidence.

So, sometimes... when we are praying... we might not even know what we are asking for... but here's the thing. It is okay to ask. And you may be praying for something that may seem "trite" that in the end... might have been just the tip of the iceberg.

And that's okay... because God is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think... Ephesians 3:20 NASB

4 comments:

beloved Mama said...

This was a wonderful post- We have also prayed for so many different things and found answers to other struggles in the midst- Most recently- God opened new doors that we prayed fervently for and also doors that we didn't expect when the public school that my middle son attends offered free speech therapy- something that we had been putting on the back burner since we didn't have insurance to cover it... God is so big, isn't he :O)

Patti said...

Great testimony friend! I am so happy to hear that the Lord is working in Christopher and giving you some long awaited answers. He is so good!

a journey of faith said...

I am so glad that C's 'handwriting' problem was discovered! Amazing how God orchestrated an answer to your prayers :D

a portland granny said...

What a great post for me, as I have been praying for my grandson by telling the Lord, "this is what I see, but you know it is only the tip of the ice berg, so please solve the mystery and heal this precious chlld."

Your post give me renewed hope in praying for my sweet boy.

I am so glad that you have received help for Christopher. When the eyes don't work correctly, the poor kids are truly "lost in space". With this disorder, you are truly fortunate that he learned to read so well.

What a blessing that his condition was revealed to you. He will be a child who will profit from learning "keyboarding" at an early age, I would think.

Thanks for sharing this powerful answer to prayer!!