“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

As Simple As A Bar Of Chocolate...


Not a surprise to most of you... I am a thinker. Analytical. It's quite frustrating actually. Can't just let things go, can I?

And yet... I am a relater, too. And have this horrible habit of wanting everyone to like me.

Mush these two things together... and I am told that I can be intimidating. Or as another friend told me... "Intense, but I don't mean that in a bad way."

Intense? Me? What did she mean? I wondered all evening. Of course, not taking it personally. (Who me?) Another friend who had been part of our conversation called me the next morning and told me perhaps it was more defined by "thorough" or "in-depth"...

And then I had an epiphany. I happened to look down at a bar of chocolate that I had purchased for Anthony to enjoy after his recent marathon (which had been sadly forgotten)... and I saw the words "INTENSE DARK"... and I thought... that's it!

I don't like dark chocolate!
Whew, what a relief!

Here's the thing... dark chocolate can be intense in flavor, but I don't prefer it. I am much more so drawn to milk chocolate. It doesn't make dark chocolate bad... or any less... in my opinion. Because some people... my husband included... like dark chocolate.

Anyway, it just really set in my mind that I need to give other people a break... especially when they can't handle my level of intensity. I guess I had thought something was wrong with me... and I shouldn't be so intense... that it was bad. But something as simple as a bar of chocolate made feel a little better about myself.

God made me intense. For a reason. I guess... take it or leave it.

But next time you buy me chocolate just remember it is one time that I don't like intense... and I wouldn't mind if it had nuts in it, too!

9 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Heavens, if you're intense, I hate to think what others might be thinking about me... have mercy.

Putting that aside, I think this a very good "thinking" on your part. It's just like our final night of Bible study last evening. As we look to the Spring study, I gave the ladies a list of possible choices for a study. Some prefer one type; some others. Some loved Daniel. Some (ummmm.... me) did not.

We all have our preferences; the beauty comes when we can set those aside to be in loving fellowship with one another. When we can't, then we've got a bigger problem than what we imagined!

Love you Sheri. Be you and be happy. God made you one special lady..

peace~elaine

Roxanne Schultz said...

you are beautiful and precious the way God made you!! love you! XOXO

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm....nuts....maybe I'm reading too much into that...wait....there I go thinking again. I like my chocolate intense with nuts!! :)

bp said...

This is so true! I love how God teaches us things through simple things in our daily lives.

elizabeth embracing life said...

Intensly despise dark chocolate, but love the lover of it. I have never thought you to be intense, just very intelligent and mindful of every single thought you form. It's an endearing quality and I happen to have about three of my five children who are like that, thus it's my normal. You are completely normal to me.

Libby... said...

Hi Sheri,
I just want to say thank you so very much for being so faithful to our God in proclaiming His word and His truths!!! As my family is at church tonight I am home alone, sick and feeling lonely. I went online to look at Shabby Chic Blogs to try to take my mind off of not feeling well. I should have been in God's word to gather His strength because I really, really need His strength right now for a multitude of reasons...but as our amazing Lord would have it, I saw your blog and I was curious as to what The Leaking Window was...??? As I started to read, tears began to well up in my eyes. I needed to hear from God those words which you posted. I just wanted to say thank you!!! I'm going to go back and read more from your blog... Love from a sister in our beautiful Lord Jesus Christ, Libby

gideonmommasita said...

Fantastic! No condemation!

Amy said...

Hey...I'm intense dark chocolate too! :)

Tammy said...

well I love dark chocolate and well I can be intense at times but I think it is wonderful how God made us each His unique design. You are who God wants you to be my friend.

blessings