“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Have You Ever Wanted to Run Away?


Have you ever wanted to run away... from your past?

Wish all your failures... all your mistakes... foolish choices... would just disappear?

Wouldn't life be better? Easier? Simpler? If we could forget. If those around us would forget.

What would be left, if your past had been perfect? Who would you be?

How would your world be different?

In my current Bible Study, we are being introduced to the significance of Esther's past. Or perhaps her insignificance. Her name. Her position in life. Her family. Her ethnicity.

She was not born to be a queen.

And despite her past, she became one.
And because of her past, she became one.

Her past had shaped her into the one who would be favored.

In the study, we are told that "you cannot amputate your history from your destiny" and that "your future is tied to your past."

And for some that may be hard to hear. Hard to believe. Because you think nothing good can come from the damage that has been done.

But "there is a treasure in your past that God wants to redeem."

Never think it is too late. Never think you will never be enough.

Never think that your past will interfere with what your future could have been... but that God will take your past and use it to shape you into a life of purpose.

"For I know the plans I have for you,"
declares the LORD,
"plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future.

Then you will call upon me
and come and pray to me,
and I will listen to you.

You will seek me and find me
when you seek me with all your heart."

Jeremiah 29:11-13


*Inspired by Esther: It's Tough Being a Woman, Session One

3 comments:

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

Interesting post. No, I have not ever wanted to run away from my past, but I have never wanted to repeat it. It was a difficult one. However, without it, I would not be me. So, I guess I will keep my history.

a portland granny said...

The older I get, the less I want to change my past, however I still have issues with some of my behavior early on and have to remind myself from time to time that it is all under the blood. Praise God for that!

bp said...

I have felt before that I wouldn't be who I am today without the things that happened to me in the past (like when my DH broke up with me and broke my heart while we were dating OR the miscarriage we had). Even though both those things hurt I wouldn't want to know what I would be without those things in my past.