“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Sunday, October 18, 2009

I Prayed For You Today


I prayed for you today.

I prayed for God to change you.

And I realized that I was praying for Him to change you to be... more like me.

And that didn't seem like the right prayer, so
I prayed for God to reveal your weaknesses to you.

But that didn't seem right either, so
I prayed for God to draw you closer to Christ.

Which was good, but then
I prayed for God to do what He thought was best.

And I realized perhaps God has you exactly where He wants you to be.

And I prayed for God to forgive me... for thinking that I knew better than He did.

And I prayed for God to change me. For Him to change me to be... more like Him.

And I prayed for God to reveal my weaknesses to me... which He did.

And I prayed for God to draw me closer to Christ.

And then I prayed for God to do what He thought was best.

And I realized that now perhaps God has me exactly where He wants me to be.


*Inspired by Esther: It's Tough Being a Woman, Week 5, Day 4

8 comments:

Deborah said...

Amen.

So many times I find myself in that same situation...praying for someone when I should have been praying for me to change. I like the insight from the study of Daniel...identify with the people...their sin is your sin.

I've have to move my blog to wordpress....hope you find me.

vintage girl at heart said...

Makes perfect sense to me!!!
Thanks for your Blessings!!
xo

bp said...

Beautiful.

Hope your week is blessed.

Tammy said...

beautiful words to remember. Have a beautiful day.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I, too, pray for a consecrated, changed heart that allows me to love others as Jesus loves rather than trying to "will them" to change. Beautiful prayer, Sheri. So glad you're getting lots of spiritual mileage out of Esther. It's a great study with a great Word from a great teacher!

peace~elaine

gideonmommasita said...

Praying for others is such a tricky conversation...good thing we have the Spirit to show us how to pray for others and change ourselves...been doing that this week as well.

Amy said...

So good and so very true!

Mama Bev said...

thanks for sharing this, and thanks for the encouraging comments on my blog! I'm doing the Esther study now as well -- I think we are a week or so behind you. Fun to share what we are learning.