“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Prosperity of Peace


"For I know the plans I have for you,”
declares the Lord,
“plans to prosper you and
not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11 NIV

"Plans to prosper you..." We all want to prosper, don't we? We think of prosperity... wouldn't everything just be perfect? If we just had enough... and maybe a little to spare... And if we stop here, and think... God wants me to prosper. So, where's it all at?

Definition of Prosper:
to rush
to advance, prosper, make progress, succeed, be profitable
to make prosperous, bring to successful issue, cause to prosper
to show or experience prosperity, prosper
In a previous post, we looked at different versions of Jeremiah 29:11 where the word "prosper" is also translated as peace, good, wholeness, welfare, care... and shalom.

Shalom meaning: completeness, soundness, welfare, peace
completeness (in number)
safety, soundness (in body)
welfare, health, prosperity
peace, quiet, tranquillity, contentment
peace (from war)
peace, friendship
~of human relationships
~with God especially in covenant relationship
So, today... consider this... where do you need to prosper? What kind of peace are you lacking?

Because God has plans for you. To prosper you. He wants you to experience the Prosperity of Peace.

Wouldn't everything just be perfect? If we just had enough... and maybe a little to spare... And if we stop here, and think... God wants me to prosper in peace... So, where's it all at?



*part of a series on Jeremiah 29:10-13

3 comments:

Amy said...

Our brains must be in sync because these were exactly my thoughts the other day. What exactly does it mean to truly prosper? What does that promise really mean for me, and how does it apply to me. Thank you for this post...it has blessed me today.

gideonmommasita said...

The next verse says when You search for God you will find Him....Is HE our peace?

holycamp09 said...

I think we usually think of being prosper as having more money...but I like the idea of having more peace. When the money isn't where we really need it to be...I try to think about all the other ways that God has blessed us. Great post...thanks.

Deborah