“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Monday, October 26, 2009

The Secret to Peace

May 9th, 1999 Christopher's Dedication

Don't fret or worry.

Instead of worrying, pray.

Let petitions and praises shape your worries
into prayers, letting God know your concerns.

Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness,
everything coming together for good,
will come and settle you down.

It's wonderful what happens
when Christ displaces worry
at the center of your life.

Philippians 4:6-7 MSG



June 1999

Talk about peaceful. Ever had times in your life when you thought... "Wonder if that thing would work for me?" A pacifier. It would almost always do the trick. Taking Christopher from tears and frustration to immediate peace. Settle him down. It would pacify him. Relieve stress. Soothe. Calm.

Wouldn't it be great? Instant peace?

In reviewing my current memory verses, Jeremiah 29:10-13, we've talked about how
our future is tied to our past
we have to wait on God's perfect timing
God has plans to prosper us
God's prosperity is entwined with peace
God's peace can mean completeness, soundness, welfare.
And we can know all of these things... and still not feel at peace. Sometimes when I am not a peace I end up realizing that I don't really want peace. I want satisfaction. I want it done my way. I will have peace when things are going my way. Or so I think.

But the kind of peace that God promises is not tied to my satisfaction. It's not tied to the completion of an event or thing or relationship. It's tied to God.

But they that wait upon the LORD
shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings as eagles;
they shall run, and not be weary;
and they shall walk, and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31 KJV

Waiting on the Lord renews our strength. Waiting on an event or thing or relationship depletes our strength. And in waiting... we learn... sometimes over and over again... how faithful God is. If we look back over lessons learned in our life we will see that God was faithful.

"I know what it is to be in need,
and I know what it is to have plenty.
I have learned the secret
of being content in any and every situation,
whether well fed or hungry,
whether living in plenty or in want.
I can do everything
through him who gives me strength."
Philippians 4:12-13

So, here's the secret to peace:

Then you will call upon me and
come and pray to me,
and I will listen to you.
You will seek me and find me
when you seek me with all your heart.
Jeremiah 29:12-13

And Gideon built an altar to the Lord there and named it
Yahweh-Shalom
(which means “the Lord is peace”). Judges 6:24a NLT

5 comments:

Mama Bev said...

I'm in Jeremiah right now in my daily reading; the 29th chapter is so much richer when v 11 is put in its context. Thanks for sharing

Amy said...

This post moved me to tears. Joel and I were talking about peace the other day. We marvel at how a dog, or our own children, go through life without a care in the world. They know peace. I think that I can never experience that kind of contentment, relief and total abandonment to the moment...but I most certainly can! God is always waiting and ready with His arms full of peace for me!

vintage girl at heart said...

He is a doll and the lesson was much needed!!! Thanks and Bless You!

elizabeth embracing life said...

Finding God in every day does bring peace. Even with the blustering story rain there is peace. I think I will go find a pacifier now and see how that works for me. Thanks for your lovely words today.

Ms.Daisy said...

Sheri,
Our children rest in the protection of our arms when they are too small and helpless just as we rest in Our Father's arms when we are tired and feel helpless. Loved your post! Thanks.


~Jean