“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Monday, November 30, 2009

and I babble...

Half Dome, Yosemite - photography by Christopher

Words still escape me. A magical spontaneous trip to Yosemite in November. Never having been... I wasn't even sure what was in store for me. All I knew was that Anthony's anticipation made me long for the place I had never been.

It was a feast for the eyes. And being the blogger I am... I thought of all the wonderful posts I would be sharing with you... about this hidden jewel. The eye candy photographs tied with words of wonder... but alas... I have been speechless.

But I have noticed, when someone asks me about the trip to Yosemite... My eyes light up, my heart beats faster and I babble about standing around the park and just staring at sights I have never seen before. Sights that I could never have dreamed existed. And I am reminded of visits to the Grand Canyon... and Crater Lake. And how can you describe just how "grand" Grand Canyon is... or how blue Crater Lake is?

And the only thing I can compare it to... is my relationship with the Lord. How often words fail me when I try to explain what the Lord is doing in my life... How I want to describe His majesty, His beauty, His love... All I know is that when I am asked about Him... My eyes light up, my heart beats faster and I babble about how totally wonderfully awesome He is. And how grateful I am.

Especially this time of year... when my thorn starts to flare. And although I would rather run from depression, the Lord has asked me to draw near. He will take care of me. It is a trial. Sometimes a temptation. But I know that He will see me through.

And it makes sense. As I read through Anonymous... and Alicia Britt Chole speaks about Jesus' temptation in the wilderness... in the desert... I realize that is where I am. And it is where I learn the most. And it is where my experiences and weakness tend to show me how dependent I am on the Lord. And it makes me who I am.

And I stand on God's promises. Promises I have memorized this year.

That He will show up and take care of me.
He will bring me back home.
He knows what He is doing.
He has it all planned out.
He won't abandon me.
He will give me a future.
He will listen to me.
He can be found.
He'll turn things around for me.
I can count on it.

This is God's Word on the subject:
"As soon as Babylon's seventy years are up and not a day before,
I'll show up and take care of you as I promised and bring you back home.
I know what I'm doing.
I have it all planned out—
plans to take care of you,
not abandon you,
plans to give you the future you hope for.

"When you call on me,
when you come and pray to me,
I'll listen.

"When you come looking for me, you'll find me.

"Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I'll make sure you won't be disappointed." God's Decree.

"I'll turn things around for you.
I'll bring you back from all the countries into which I drove you"—God's Decree—
"bring you home to the place from which I sent you off into exile.
You can count on it.

Jeremiah 29:10-14 MSG

5 comments:

vintage girl at heart said...

Christopher is an amazing Photographer!!! Wow!!
As always your post speaks volumes.
I have my ups and downs with that thorn too and yes I have to let go and let Him guide me. So hard to do yet I know that is the only path!!! You always remind me of that and that we are never alone!!!
So happy that you had such a wonderful trip and I am so looking forward to seeing more!!!
Blessings to You!!

Amy said...

A very powerful post. Thank you...I needed that.

gideonmommasita said...

You are an excellent at babble! Wonderful words for a very leaky eyed morning.

Kristi said...

That was so beautifully said. I loved reading every word. Thank you for your prayers for our family. You are a blessing!!!!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

These two pictures are, indeed, a stunning representation of God's creative genius! I'm so glad that you had the opportunity to feast on them with human eyes. I'll just try and imagine them; alas, no specific "beauty" in my neck of the woods. I'm not kidding. I think I live in the least aesthetically pleasing environment in the US. What we lack in beauty, we make up for in people! I'm not kidding.

Love you.

peace~elaine