“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, December 3, 2009

epilogue of
A true story.

El Capitan, Yosemite. Photography by Christopher.

And when he was come into the house,
his disciples asked him privately,
Why could not we cast him out?

And he said unto them,
This kind can come forth by nothing,
but by prayer and fasting.
Mark 9:28-29 KJV

Siesta Scripture Memory Team:
Verse 3 (February 1-14, 2009)


originally aired on August 22, 2009

A true story.

Almost everyday I am in the garden watering the plants that do not receive the benefit from our sprinkler system. Last year I bought a hose that insisted on its packaging that it was "kink-free."

Liar.

This year, every day as I water... the hose kinks. Not just once. Not just twice. Multiple times. Delaying the amount of time necessary for watering as I have to go and "unkink" the hose.

I told my husband, "I am going to buy a new hose."

He asked if I felt that was a wise purchase considering the current economic crisis.

What I should have told him was that I would be helping stimulate the economy by buying a new hose.

I didn't.

So, I have decided to suffer with my kinked hose. Water. Kink. Stop. Unkink. Return. Water. Kink. Stop. Unkink. Return. Ad nauseam. My nauseam.

Until the other day. When I was ruminating a current situation. I felt the Lord prompt me, "Pray for this person/situation each time the hose kinks." I thought, "Are you kidding me?"



And so... Water. Kink. Stop. Pray. Unkink. Return. Water. Kink. Pray. Stop. Unkink. Return. Water.

And so it went. Until Tuesday night. When the hose decided that it was done being a hose and it just wanted to kink. Over and over and over and over and over and over. Until I said to the Lord that I thought I was done praying for this situation. Really! But I continued to pray because I thought... this person must really need it!

Wednesday morning I shared the story with a friend. And we prayed about it.

So, Wednesday night out to water. The hose did not kink once. I was so accustomed to praying for the situation that I still prayed, but was relieved by the lack of kinking.

And the next day. The hose did not kink once. I still prayed, but realized that I was truly feeling a sense of peace about the situation.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7 NIV

What's the moral of my story? Here's my encouragement... if you have something that consistently reminds you of how little things can really bug you, use it as a reminder to pray for someone. Use that irritation as a prompting from the Lord.

Maybe it is every time you have to do the dishes. Or change a diaper. Or pay a bill.

And who knows. Maybe they'll have to stop selling kink-free hoses.

epilogue.
I wish I could say I have learned my lesson. That there's been no kinking lately. But I am still a work in progress. And so... Water. Kink. Stop. Pray. Unkink. Return. Water. Kink. Pray. Stop. Unkink. Return. Water. Repeat often.

2 comments:

Patti said...

A work in progress....aren't we all! :) Great to re-reflect on these things. I imagine it makes God happy too. :)

Kathy said...

Great analogy...great blog! Enjoyed my visit here, God Bless, xoxo~Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...