“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Jean is in my life... for such a time as this

Esther Celebration at Jean's house
Sheri, Evelyn, Jean, Sheila
Jan, Nancy, Angel (missing Sherrie & Jan)

Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.
Titus 2:3-5

Siesta Scripture Memory Verse 11
(June 1-14, 2009)


I want to honor my dear friend, Jean. She will be upset with me when she finds out that I wrote a post about her. But it ties right in with Titus 2:3-5, so I think she'll forgive me.

The Bible Study I attend has about 100 ladies. To keep things on a relational level, we sit at round tables of about eight (or nine). I lead a table and Jean was my co-leader for the study of Esther: It's Tough Being a Woman.

We had met Jean and her husband, Joe, a couple years ago at a Bible Study (was it Experiencing God or Kay Arthur's Colossians?) at our church. Actually, they were our table leaders... and we fell in love with them instantly. Joe has since gone on to be with the Lord, but his mantra "Trust and Obey" still rings in our ears.

I guess about a year ago Jean felt led by the Lord to sit at my Bible Study table. The Lord brought her to the table to come alongside me. And when asked to be a co-leader with me, she pretty much jumped for joy.

Jean is an artist of note writing. She must have gotten a note-writing PhD. And when you get a note in the mail box from her... well, you'd think you'd won the lottery. The lottery of encouraging words! She even takes time to add a little flair to the envelope for good measure. She does the thing right!

What I love even more about Jean... oh... there is so much to love... is that at the young age of 83 --she'll be 84 on 12/17, so be sure to send her a birthday note!-- is that she is still seeking the Lord. Still learning. Still listening. Still being refined by Him. To be a better mother, grandmother, friend, table co-leader. And daughter of Christ.

She encourages me. Lifts me up. The grace I receive when I read her words! And yet at twice my age, she is humble... and willing to receive edification and instruction from her table leader... because she longs to be the woman God created her to be.

And so today, I want my words to honor Jean. To be words fitly spoken. To be words that will be received in grace. And since my dear friend is not one to use the internet... I think I will print out this post... write her a little note... with birthday wishes... add a little flair to the envelope... and send it on its way.

Because for me... Jean is in my life... for such a time as this.

I love you, Jean. Happy 84th Birthday!

3 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Happy birthday, Jean! Thank you for loving my sister, Sheri, and for being a Godly influence in her heart and life.

I have my own set of "Jeans" over here; and as for the note writing--well, it's a lost art form anymore. A couple of years ago, I received a handwritten note from Ruth Bell Graham, and I thought to myself then, this is exactly the reason so many love her! I want to emulate her attention to the "one" and yours as well, Jean.

Live this new year, sowing seed as you go, and loving our Father all the more.

peace~elaine

Patti said...

What a beautiful written tribute. Every woman needs a "Jean" in her life. :)

Amy said...

I love Jean! I still have a note she wrote me tucked in the cover of my Bible. Whenever I need a "pick-me-up" or an instant "warm fuzzy" I read her note. She truly is a blessing - GREAT post!