“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Just One Tree In The Forest

Just Past Fairy Falls. Photography by Anthony.

May my lord pay no attention
to that wicked man Nabal.
He is just like his name—
his name is Fool,
and folly goes with him.
But as for me, your servant,
I did not see the men my master sent.
1 Samuel 25:25


Siesta Scripture Memory Verse 4 (February 15-28, 2009)

I chose this verse in February because I had been given the opportunity to teach on Abigail in our ladies' Bible study. When I recently reread her story in 1 Samuel 25, I was again impressed by her wisdom. Wondering... what had prepared her in the past to give her such insight to act the way she did?
"Because the choices we make in the place of trial today are greatly the fruit of choices we have made in our yesterdays." ~ Alicia Britt Chole, Anonymous
What happened in Abigail's yesterday? We know of her future. She became one of King David's many wives. Just one of many. She might have possibly gone unnoticed. Most of King David's wives did. Why would we see her amongst the many? Just one tree in the forest.

At least Bathsheba became the mother of the king to succeed King David. But Abigail? She is only known for the choices she made. To intercede for her husband's life. And to advise the soon-to-be king to consider the consequences before he acted. Where did her wisdom come from?

And this causes me to look at the choices I am making today. Choices that may seem insignificant... even to me. How could one decision make a difference? One decision of many? But as Alicia Britt Chole reflects in Anonymous... it is the culmination of our hidden underestimated choices that can gain momentum and influence how we respond in times of our greatest trials.

I have chosen the way of truth;
I have set my heart on your laws.
Psalm 119:30

But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you,
then choose for yourselves
this day whom you will serve...
But as for me and my household,
we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15

No comments: