“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Only Thing We Have To Fear
Is Fear Itself


He will not let your foot slip—
he who watches over you
will not slumber;

indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.

Psalm 121:3-4 NIV

Siesta Memory Verse 2 (January 15-31, 2009)


I choose these verses in January because I was anxious. The bad kind of anxious... filled with anxiety. Anthony would be heading to Ethiopia when I chose this verse... which meant Christopher and I were on our own for about 10 days. I was praying for God's protection over him... and us... especially while we were sleeping.

And I was anxious about the inauguration. Thinking that God might have made a mistake when He chose Senator Obama to become president. (Daniel 2:21) Worrying that all my beloved freedoms would be lost... and that America would no longer be "one nation under God."

Anxiety. An emotion of fear. It causes pain to our hearts and minds and... stomachs. It most certainly affects our relationship with God. But perhaps that it is a good thing. What if worry was actually an indicator of something wrong... something that we haven't dealt with? Something that God wants us to deal with...

Do not be anxious about anything,
but in everything,
by prayer and petition,
with thanksgiving,
present your requests to God.
Philippians 4:6

What if we really took everything to the Lord in prayer? If we looked at our anxiety as a way to draw closer to the Lord and depend upon Him even more than we are comfortable with? What would happen?

And the peace of God,
which transcends all understanding,
will guard your hearts and
your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:7



So, what's on your heart? Are you anxious about anything? Worried? Perhaps by pressing into your anxiety, you will find an unresolved issue. Then ask the Lord specifically what you need from Him. He wants to know. He loves you.

Have I not commanded you?
Be strong and courageous.
Do not be terrified;
do not be discouraged,
for the LORD your God will be with you
wherever you go.
Joshua 1:9


"Let me assert my firm belief that
the only thing we have to fear is fear itself
—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror
which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance."
Franklin D. Roosevelt
, First Inaugural Address 1933

No comments: