“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Monday, December 21, 2009

Primal Blog Tour


Earlier this year I shared what was on My Bookshelf. I had just finished reading-- for the first time-- Alicia Britt Chole's Anonymous: Jesus' hidden years and yours. I asked what was on your summer reading list... and Amy of Simplfying... Me left a comment with several books. But a couple days later she felt compelled to tell me about her new read: Mark Batterson's In A Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day. She said it was challenging and she highly recommended it.

So I borrowed it... and I haven't given it back.

I practically ate the book and thought of all the posts I wanted to write about it. How it spoke truths to me. How I thought that it was written for me. For some reason, I could never bring myself to post about it... until now.

After I finished In A Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day, I started listening to Mark Batterson's podcasts at National Community Church. I started following Mark Batterson on Twitter and Facebook. And of course, I became a follower of his blog. Soon, I realized that I was not the only one who found his style to be simple yet challenging. Always drawing me back to prayer, reading the Bible, and using the gifts God has given me.

So, when I found out that Mark Batterson had written a new book, Primal: A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity, I knew it would be on my reading list. But it got better than that... I saw on Mark's blog that I could apply to receive a free copy if I would write a post about it on my blog. Sweet!

Another phenomenal book. And here I am, again. Feeling speechless. How to describe a book that has impacted me... that has already begun to work its way into my cognitive system... in one post. It is impossible. It is a book I have plans to read again at a more leisurely pace. Mark Batterson will be doing a series on the book in January... and I encourage you to buy the book and tag along for the ride.

The book is based on Mark 12:30

Love the Lord your God
with all your heart and
with all your soul and
with all your mind and
with all your strength.

In Mark 12:30, Jesus is quoting Deuteronomy 6:5. (Which is part of the script written in the Mezuzah.) And Mark Batterson is challenging us to get "primal" or to go back to a time when our love for the Lord drove us to compassion or wonder or curiosity or energy.
I hope this book has taken you back to some of the sympathy breakthroughs that have broken your heart and the epiphanies that have shaped your soul. I hope it's unleashed a holy curiosity to know God more. I hope it's renewed your resolve to devote your energies to kingdom causes. ~ Mark Batterson, Primal: A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity
It is a book that makes me hungry to read my Bible... get on my knees and pray... lend a hand to a neighbor... open my eyes and ears to God's wonders. It is a book that inspires me to be authentic in my faith and relationships. Perhaps it is one of those books that I feel like it was written to me... for such a time as this.

And I guess that makes it a real risk to read. Almost dangerous. If you're looking for the status quo... don't read it. Don't bother. But... if you're like me... and some of you are... and you're wondering if you are capable of loving God with ALL your heart, soul, mind and strength... then join the reformation.

Our generation needs a reformation. But a single person won't lead it. A single event won't define it.

Our reformation will be a movement of reformers living compassionately, creatively, courageously for the cause of Christ.

This reformation will not be born of a new discovery. It will be the rediscovery of something old, something ancient.
Something PRIMAL.

What would your Christianity look like if it was stripped down to the simplest, rawest, purest faith possible? You would have more, not less. You would have the beginning of a new reformation -- in your generation, your church, your own soul. You would have primal Christianity.

This book is an invitation to become part of a reformation movement. It is an invitation to rediscover the compassion, wonder, curiosity, and energy that turned the world upside down two thousand years ago. It is an invitation to be astonished again. ~ Mark Batterson, Primal: A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity

Primal: A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity
at RandomHouse.com

4 comments:

vintage girl at heart said...

Just checkin' in to say hello....

Amy said...

I really need to read this book!

gideonmommasita said...

Your reccomendation for Sisterchicks is what got me hooked on your blog so I would do well to read this as well, thank you for suggesting it! Merry Christmas

Tammy said...

Merry Christmas my friend.
May it be filled with His joy and love and treasures of peace for your heart.