“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, December 17, 2009

This Jar is Still Cracked

My Siesta Scripture Memory Verse 14 (July 15-31, 2009).
An epiphany for me. Scripture interpreting scripture... what a treasure.

originally aired July 29, 2009
This Jar is Cracked

photography by Anthony

We now have this light
shining in our hearts,

but we ourselves are like
fragile clay jars
containing this great treasure
.

This makes it clear that
our great power is from God,
not from ourselves.
2 Corinthians 4:7 NLT

As I ponder my current memory verse... I marvel at the thought that God's light shines within me. And also through me... considering all the chips and cracks in this particular jar of clay. How easy it is to see God's great power when the gaps and crevices allow the light to shine through...

And so I was caught off guard when I came across this verse in Jeremiah.

"This is what the Lord Almighty,
the God of Israel, says:
Take these documents,
both the sealed and unsealed
copies of the deed of purchase,
and put them in a clay jar
so they will last a long time."
Jeremiah 32:14 NIV

The beauty of the Old Testament. The beauty of scripture interpreting scripture.

I had only ever considered Paul's inference towards the fragility of a clay jar. Not the durability of a clay jar.


Anthony took this picture when we were in Israel last year. These jars are similar in nature to the jars that housed the Dead Sea Scrolls when they were found in 1947. Jars of clay that protected ancient manuscripts for almost 2,000 years.

Although fragile in nature. They were used for preservation. Preservation of the word of God. Worthy of holding a treasure.

And that is me. And that is you.
"And what a awesome thought—
God has always put his eternal treasure
in fragile jars of clay,
and though the jars eventually break,
the treasure doesn’t,
but somehow makes the jars themselves eternal."
- Pastor Ray Noah

1 comment:

elizabeth embracing life said...

So much in such a short blog Sheri. I guess the saying "I am all cracked up to what I should be" Or "she cracks me " have a new meaning. Let He that puts these treasure inside confidently be praised.