“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Sunday, December 13, 2009

What Not To Say

Twilight. Cannon Beach, Oregon.
Photography by Anthony.


"Consider carefully what you hear," he continued.
"
With the measure you use,
it will be measured to you—
and even more.

Whoever has
will be given more;
whoever does not have, even what he has
will be taken from him.
"
Mark 4:24-25 NIV

Siesta Scripture Memory Verse 9
(May 1-14, 2009)


I began this year with good intentions to read through the Bible in 2009. I made it about half way through... meaning I didn't read it every day, but I read the selected Scripture about 190 days throughout the year.

Just as Mark 4:24-25 states... the more I heard/read... the more I received. And I thoroughly enjoyed reading through books of the Bible. Finding verses that I heard in the past and wondered where there were. Seeing similar themes repeat. Discovering new stories and remembering old ones. Experiencing the comfort of God's consistency.

And now, being the thinker that I am... I am wondering how to tweak the reading plan so that I do read through the Bible next year. I like this set up, so I will stick with it. And I have decided that I will continue on from where I currently am at and then start at the beginning after I complete all the books of the Bible. One thing I have noticed is that there are days when I only read through one Proverb... and I know they stretch it out so that they have the format they want, but what ends up happening is that there are days with five long chapters in Ezekiel. And I get through one chapter... and never get back to finishing it.

Another thing I have to consider is when and where I read the Bible. I set myself up for interruptions and distractions. So, admittedly for me... I have some work to do. But it is worth it. Because I have found when I am wondering what to pray... or what to say... or what to not say... or what to do... or how to respond... or how to parent... or how to grow in Christ... or how to love... Well, the more I am in the Word of the God the more apt I am to turn to the Word of God at my time of need.

What about you? Have you found a way that has helped you stay in the Word on a daily basis?

3 comments:

Amy said...

For me, reading the Word is kind of like my early morning pep talk from God. Sometimes I find it too easy to look to others for encouragement, wisdom or guidance. When I don't get what I need from the people around me I get discouraged. However, if I am daily in God's Word then I find myself receiving everything I've been looking for in other people: direction, clarity, affirmation, love, etc. I absolutely NEED to be in the Word daily...it fills me up and keeps me going! :)

Patti said...

I need to be better about reading the Word. I struggle with finding time to read the books that I am reading with groups, seems I rarely crack open JUST the Bible. Something to work towards in the new year!!! I need to get to bed earlier so that I don't dread the mornings like I have been this past couple weeks.

bp said...

When Caleb was little and napping I made that my time to read my Bible. I felt like his wake up time or bed time was never a consistent time and if something happened and that got changed then my reading would be changed. But to do it at his nap time I did it every day. I read some moms who clean and do chores while their kids nap but I didn't do that. I thought I was odd for not doing that sometimes when I'd read that! It has worked for me and helped me stay in that routine even when he's in school now. This is something I want to work on as well...reading more of just the Word and not just books about it or some one else's thoughts about a passage. I try to read a chapter a day in some book of the Bible besides whatever else I read.