“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Friday, January 15, 2010

2010 Scripture Memory Verse #2


My 24th and final memory verse for 2009 is also my anchor verse for 2010.
Love the Lord your God
with all your heart and
with all your soul and
with all your mind and
with all your strength.
Mark 12:30 

My choice was inspired by reading Mark Batterson's Primal (see post). As the new year began, I stopped by Peace for the Journey where Elaine spoke about having an anchor verse for 2010.  I decided Mark 12:30 would be my 2010 anchor verse.  I knew that I wanted to reread Primal and explore the different ways to love the Lord.... with my heart... soul... mind... and strength.

I have decided to choose my 2010 verses in light of my anchor verse.  My first and now second verse focus on my heart... and how to love God with all my heart.


My first verse:

I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.
Psalm 119:11

My second verse:

Teach me your way, O Lord, 
and I will walk in your truth; 
give me an undivided heart
that I may fear your name.  
Psalm 86:11

The first verse reminds me that by hiding God's Word in my heart through scripture memorization, I will be able to distinguish between right and wrong.  The second verse reminds me that I need to look to the Lord and His Truth (His Word) to learn His ways so I can walk in truth.

A little background on my scripture memorization.... On January 1st of 2009, I decided to join my other "siestas" at the LPM blog... and memorize scripture. We were encouraged to memorize a scripture of our choosing every other week.

One technique I used to learn my verses was to list them on the sidebar of my blog.  I posted them on my bathroom mirror, by my sink and in my office.  I also put them in my e-mail signature so that I see it every time I write an e-mail.  I put it up on Facebook and Twitter, too.

Stop by Beth Moore's mini-tutorial on the RENEW process of scripture memorization.

Read It
Examine It
Need It
Echo It
Wield It

"Need it" and "wield it" have been the most helpful to me. Although I have memorized scripture in the past when I have needed it, I am now being pro-active. I am looking ahead at the next two weeks and asking the Lord... what verse should I memorize? Looking at my upcoming events... what verse might I need? And then to wield it as necessary.

So, how about you? What verse do you need to see you through the next two weeks? God's Word is full of His promises, His truth, and His love.

8 comments:

gideonmommasita said...

Nice new look to your blog...I did like the picture of the leaking window though. :)
For the past two weeks I have been wondering on what would be my next verse. I have a card on my fridge with John 1:16 and I decided that is a good direction...sad because it was a card from my sister after her son died but a good focus nonetheless.

Lora said...

Are your pictures on your bath mirror? I started mine out there too - till the Salesman said he could hardly see in the mirror! I moved some to our closet door and inside the medicine cabinet. As a home school mom, I did well seeing them in these places daily. I've just recently put them in a spiral.

Blessings to you!

Tammy said...

I am doing the scripture memory too but have not posted my second one as I have not felt God's prompting and so I am waiting...but it will come...it will come

blessings

Yolanda said...

Sheri,

I am thankful that you stopped by and introduced yourself. I look forward to meeting you on Friday as well!

I've encouraged many women to begin hiding God's word in their heart. January 1st my Sunday school teacher asked if I would facilitate our ladies that desired to do so, in memorizing scripture.

What a blessing your scriptures are!

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Go-Between said...

Sheri,
Just thought I would introduce myself...before we meet tomorrow! :) I am from the Seattle area and am coming with my daughter, who lives in So. OR. I am meeting up with Jackie, so hopefully will get to meet you then!
MK
ps - absolutely was moved by your poem! Praise God for your 4th anniversary!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Hope you have a great adventure this weekend. I wish I could have been there.

Blessings.

~elaine

Christina said...

I'm just trying to catch up.
Here is my verse #2:

Everyone has heard about your obedience, so I am full of joy over you; but I want you to be wise about what is good, and innocent about what is evil.

Romans 16:19
NIV

Christina
Roseburg, OR

Grandmaof5 said...

Jan 15th
Zephaniah 3:17
The Lord your God is with you
He is mighty to save
He will take great delight in you.
He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing!
Vicki
Eufaula, AL