“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

And Make Friends, We Did!



He came straight over to me.  He looked me in the eye and with authority said, "This is temporary."

And I thought, "Really?" And I quickly wrote down his words of wisdom and prayed that they were true.

I had been suffering with the deepest depression I had ever known.  Not just for myself... but I had not known or remembered knowing anyone who had been more depressed than I was.

It was a Sunday morning at church.  He was someone I had met 10 years earlier... and our families became friends.  And during this particular season in 2006, he was in the same small group that I was in.  Part of my church family.

And then there was the darling gal who thought it might be a good idea to ask everyone in the Sunday School class I attended to send me a birthday card that year.  To cheer me and to let me know I was being prayed for...

And Christopher's first grade teacher and his principal at the school he attended that was part of our church... who had the children create a "get well" book for me... and pray for me... and give me flowers.

And then there were the many friends in our church who brought over meals... which I couldn't eat because I was so sick... but took the burden of cooking dinner and thinking of what to make for dinner off of my shoulders.

And the wonderful lady who we often share a pew with who crochets... the Lord gave her a dream to make me a shawl with a gold thread around the top and bottom... and she so happened to give it to me the week of my birthday... unbeknownst to her at the time.

And there was our Pastor... who preached on The Need For a Miracle... when I needed one most.

As I begin my celebration of January 15th, I decided to look through the papers and letters and cards and e-mail printouts that I had saved from 2006.  And my eyes are red, friends.  They hurt from the tears pouring down my face... rushing uncontrollably from my eyes to the floor... so that I couldn't even read the words in front of me.

My church family.  The ones that I had longed to be friends with 10 years prior... well, let me tell you... it was worth it.  They were there for me.  Over and beyond.  Loved me.  Held me.  Prayed for me.  Encouraged me.  Fed my family.  And who told me, "This is temporary" and it was!

And I am grateful.

And I am blessed.

And part of who I am today... I owe to them.

Thank you, to my Portland Christian Center Family.

Please see previous post for the rest of the story...

6 comments:

gideonmommasita said...

And now there are tears in my eyes as well. Thinking about all of Romans 8 but that would be too long of a comment..
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose...
...a word that couldn't be spoken in 2006 but is a blessing now.

vintage girl at heart said...

You are Blessed!!!
Come on over I would love to have you for a visit on my porch!!!
xoxo

a portland granny said...

Altho your journey has been long and discouraging, at times, I'm sure the examples of these dear ones from the body of Christ, ministered deeply to your heart's needs. What precious memories you have to recall, as you look back over these past years...and I know the knowledge of being loved and cared for has stayed with you...and will for always!

I'm hoping for a post from you on Friday. I'm sure you praise God daily for the changes he has brought about in your life since 06. Your suffering was not wasted, for I see in you, a compassionate young woman,looking always to the Savior's face for direction daily. You have been a great example to me in your quest for holiness!

Joyce said...

Awesome!!! So glad you have a good church family. That is SO important.

Ms.Daisy said...

Sheri,
I love seeing the "rest of the story" - a good church family is unlike any other and I am so very grateful for mine.


Jean

Amy Cathcart said...

Just dropping by to tell you I love you.