“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Anonymous: Complete, But Not Finished
Leave a comment, win a bundle

Day is done, gone the sun...
Photography by Anthony


This Tuesday marks the completion of my small group's study of Anonymous: Jesus' hidden years... and yours. Complete, but not finished. Anonymous has been a tool that has drawn me into a discovery process that will continue to unfold. An anonymous journey. I'm still in process, but I want to acknowledge that the study is complete and has made space for a new season in my life.

I recently finished a class at my church called SHAPE. Spiritual gifts, Heart, Abilities, Personality, and Experiences. Looking at who we are... how God made us... and serving wholeheartedly with passion to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. (Ephesians 2:10) I took an additional class with one of the teachers, Larry Briggs, to learn how to coach someone through the SHAPE discovery process. It was in this class that I learned about acknowledging the completion of the class but not the completion of the journey.

To help facilitate the completion of the Anonymous study we will discuss the following questions on Tuesday:
  1. What has been the most impactful part of the Anonymous study?
  2. What part of Anonymous are you still trying to fully grasp?
  3. How would you describe which season of Anonymous you are currently experiencing?
  4. How will you make what you've learned real in your life?
And how about you? Are there any studies, classes or books that you have read that you feel you need to acknowledge are complete, but not finished? These questions are a great place to start.

I recently e-mailed Alicia Britt Chole, the author of Anonymous:
"Just wanted you to know one way that the Anonymous study has helped me... I'm an avid blogger and I often get tied up in receiving (well, not receiving!) comments. Reading Anonymous... and especially doing the study guide... has shown me how much God uses the lack of comments on my blog... to draw me closer to Him. He is kind enough to give me a glimpse into what He is doing now and then, but I am finding that if I am not dependent on the comments... I can truly write what He has called me to write and not be concerned with whether I get comments at all. That way... my faith is becoming unshakable... not swayed by praise or rejection! What a relief!

I'll be wrapping up the Anonymous small group study next week. I'm sorry to see it close, but I have a feeling that this is only the beginning."
To celebrate my completion of the Anonymous study... and because I think this study is LIFE-CHANGING... I will be giving away an Anonymous bundle which includes the book, study guide, and journal. Just leave a comment on this post and I will pick a random winner on January 5th at the end of the small group meeting.

And remember... I do love me some cotton-candy.

Give away is closed.

6 comments:

Joyce said...

I'm so glad that I have come by to visit you tonight. I've been a tad bit behind on reading your posts, however tonight I have caught up some.
I LOVED this "anonymous" post...fabulous. And it has made me think. I want to read it again and ponder it.
Also....Mark Batterson's "Primal" book....I haven't acquired it but I do like him and loved the "In a pit" one...he seems like a great guy and a great Pastor. Maybe we should go visit his church in D.C....sometimes we travel just to go to church somewhere!
Oh and I didn't know the story about the "Selah" singer...so sad. I have only listened to a little bit of their music so I'm not really up on them.
Let's talk some more on things again...it's been fun!
Be blessed in 2010!!
Joyce

Patti said...

Well, even though I already have this book, I would still love to win and "pay it forward". I can think of a LOT of people that would be blessed by this book! See you on Tuesday!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheri....I am not commenting simply to win....I am commenting to bless you and let you know that what you write and share impacts many people. I never leave comments on blogs. I read many of them and often think that I should leave a comment when what the blogger writes impacts my day. This year I am determined to live boldly and so I guess this is my first step.

Your piece on the "2.5 hours with Audrey" was touching. I have a friend who went through something very similar a year ago. She was told early in her pregnancy that her son had Trisomy 18. When most families are celebrating finding out the sex of their baby....they were faced with the reality that their son may not make it through to term let alone make it once he was born. They celebrated each and every week they had with their unborn son. When he was born they had exactly 2 hours with him until he was graciously received by his loving Creator.

A study that I finished a few weeks ago was called "Lord, Change My Attitude" by James MacDonald. This is a study that yes I finished in the sense that all of the questions were answered, but I won't be closing the door on any time soon. It is a study that will forever keep me on my toes and will forever keep me on my knees for help. Keeping "promised land" attitudes does not come easy.....

Sheri....keep up the great work. What you say in your blog is bold and fresh. I love it and wish that I had the insights you have and the boldness to write it in a blog as you do.

Love and hugs from an old friend
Julie Lawrence
julielawrence01@comcast.net

Anonymous said...

Count me in Sheri!
Cassie

gideonmommasita said...

Good job with the links in this post, I had missed the cotton candy post and enjoyed reading it. Facebook has eaten up some of my blogging time but passe or not I still enjoy and am glad you have not abandoned your post either! keep sharing the good word.

Amy said...

It is an interesting journey, and not always an easy one at that. You've talked so much about the Anonymous book that I keep thinking to myself, "I really need to get that!" Your honesty is a blessing...always.
Whether or not the feedback is there, you continue to be a blessing. :)