“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Monday, January 18, 2010

The Desert of Depression:
Celebrating January 15th... The Fourth Anniversary


White Sands National Monument, New Mexico 

photography by Anthony


She still visits me
although she is not welcome.

She knows that I am stronger.
But that doesn't bother her.

She's persistent.

She takes advantage of any situation.
A mispoken word.
A hurt feeling.
Hormones.
The weather.
A head cold.

She'll just try to sneak in...
she is slow and subtle.
And sometimes I let my guard down...
and I let her in...
And I become just like her.

But it isn't for long
because I have learned her weaknesess...
and I have learned my strengths.

I have heard that she has been visiting you lately.
And you are having a hard time resisting her.
You are weak.
And she knows it.

But she is no longer a secret.
We don't have to hide her anymore.
Although some do.
I don't.
I can't.

Depression.
Has been defeated.
On January 15th, 2006
she came for a visit.
And she was ruthless.

But God has comforted me
in my troubles.
So now I can
bring comfort 
to you.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 
the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 
who comforts us in all our troubles, 
so that we can comfort those in any trouble 
with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 
2 Corinthians 1:3-4

8 comments:

elizabeth embracing life said...

Sheri,
I just heard a book review on a book called "Out of the Blues" and thought of your strength to overcome this silent interference. Now using your experience to help others along. We all have a story of Victory in Jesus a story that is to be told. You tell it boldy.

vintage girl at heart said...

It is a constant struggle that is for sure!
Much more so than people give us credit for.
I am so glad that you are so honest and that you show that it so very real and is a lifelong challenge.
All things are possible with Him.

(Wonder when we will see a reality Depression Rehab...Celebrity Depression Intervention or Depressed Hoarders..probably never....) It is usually a silent journey...
Happy 4th Anniversary.

bp said...

This is so beautifully written. I always enjoy and appreciate what you share. have a good week!

Patti said...

You are using YOUR past and present to change OTHER'S futures. ;) I am proud of you for facing "her" head on in Jesus' name. Praying for sunshine in your life this week, both literally and figuratively. :)

Watering Mustard Seeds said...

Hi
Are you going through this at the moment or was that from 2006.
It really blew me away as this is exactly what I am struggling with at the moment.

I am going to print it out.

Amy said...

Happy Anniversary Sheri! This truly is a victory to celebrate...God is so good!

Watering Mustard Seeds said...

Thanks Sheri. I posted a reply on my blog.

rooney said...

beautiful, poignant, inspirational, real. like you.

psalm 119:41 "may your unfailing love come to me, O Lord, your salvation according to your promise; then i will answer the one tho taunts me; for i trust in your word."