“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Fruit of Anonymous...
Memorizing Scripture




Last year I took the opportunity to memorize scripture as part of Beth Moore's Siesta Scripture Memory Team.  I was kinda hoping she'd do it, again... but it doesn't look that way.  So, I figured I was on my own.

In studying Anonymous, Alicia Britt Chole reminds us that Jesus defeated temptation with Scripture.  And we can, too!  Well, except for the fact that we need to know Scripture before we can use it.  We don't always have time to go to Biblegateway.com and do a search on "gluttony" or "usury" when faced with a temptation... so we need to be more familiar with the Scriptures so that we can use them.

Anyway, some of the gals who joined me for Anonymous said they'd be willing to come alongside me and memorize scripture... and we thought about you... and maybe you would like to join us, too? 

I'll be using the same format I used last year with the Siesta Scripture Memory Team.  1st and 15th of each month.  You can put your name and verse and Bible version.  I'll add more details later... but I thought we'd better get started.

Here's my 1st Memory Verse for 2010:

I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.
Psalm 119:11

I am choosing this verse because... well, it sums up using Scripture to defeat temptation.  Feel free to use the same verse that I am memorizing.

Don't forget to put your name, verse, and if you want... even the reason you chose the verse in the comment. 


Now I need to think of a cool name to call this... hmmm... any ideas?



9 comments:

Patti said...

I am so unoriginal at these things but want to play along. What if I copy you? I want to learn new verses, just not sure how to pick them!!

holycamp09 said...

Here's a line that might help you get your verses, scroll down to "topical scripture memory plan"

http://www.kathyhoward.org/discipleship-helps/

So, are you still going to Texas?

Deborah

gideonmommasita said...

Nice picture, love it when I can recite the verse with you, just wish I could remember where it came from or to recite it with no prompting.

Tammy said...

I am doing the scripture memory thing too. I loved it last year. So here is to a new year of more og God's word in our hearts.

Lora said...

How true that we battle our temptations with the Truth of His Word. What a blessing memorizing Scripture has been to me.

Christina said...

I'd like to join your group. Here is my scripture for January 1.

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20
NIV

Christina
Roseburg, OR

This goes along with my goal for this year; to get into better shape and be more cautious of what I eat. My body is a place where the Holy Spirit resides. I need to take better care of it.

Yolanda said...

http://yolandarogers.blogspot.com/2010/01/2010-scripture-memorization.html

Here are my 1st and 15th, I will begin coming here and posting my scripture with you as well. ;-)

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Anonymous said...

charlotte carty
lexington, ky

Eph 1:15-16 NIV
For this reason
ever since I heard about your faith in the LORD JESUS CHRIST and your love for all the saints,
16 -I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers.

Hi I am sharing a rental car with you and Jackie in Texas. Can't wait to meet you both. Love your blog and look forward to continuing our scriptures together.

Grandmaof5 said...

Hey I'm late - but have kept up with it in my spiral!
Proverbs 17:14
Starting a quarrel i slike breaching a dam;
SO - DROP the matter BEFORE a dispute breaks out.
Vicki
Eufaula Al Jan 1