“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I Met Someone Like You



I was not prepared for the stories.  When I had imagined the Siesta SMT Celebration, I guess I hadn't thought much about the conversations I would have.  It just never crossed my mind.

I had imagined that the Celebration would take center stage this past weekend, but it didn't.  It was the stories.  Over and over, again.  Each Siesta I met... had a story.  And she was more than willing to share it with her "new found BFFs"... her Siestas in Christ.  To share where she had been.  What pit she had been lifted out of.  And what joy she found by being delivered by the Father.  And how memorizing the scriptures last year became more than a goal... but a necessity. 

Some might have walked into the Celebration meeting room and thought to themselves that there were 508 women who have figured it all out... and have "it" all together.  Their excitement... joy for the Lord... love for each other.   But you know what... the don't have it all together, but what they do have is a daily dependence on the Lord and a desire to walk in His ways... and so they commit His Word to memory to get through each day… because they have come to the conclusion that the only way they are getting through each day... is with God.

And perhaps you are wondering why this matters to you?  Because I know that you have your own pit. You are struggling. You keep trying. You talk it over and over. You read different books and listen to podcasts and maybe even go to church. But nothing is helping. You are still addicted… or you are still in a loveless marriage… or you are still a single mom with no help… or you have been hurt by “the church”… or you left the ministry… And nothing is working. The pain is still there. And you… well, maybe… maybe you are just desperate enough to try anything.

 My soul is weary with sorrow; 
strengthen me according to your word. 
Psalm 119:28

So I invite you to join me... in memorizing scripture.  Just two verses a month.  The 1st and the 15th of each month. You pick the verses. And even if you are unable to memorize scripture, I challenge you to find a verse and write it down in a spiral and carry it with you... and turn to it before... during... and after you are in the pit of despair.

Because all I know is that this past weekend, I met someone like you... who had been where you have been... and who has had her own turnaround... and has found her strength by relying daily upon God and His Word.

And in January of 2011, we'll have our own celebration.  Pink boas and all.

22 comments:

alwaysdreamllc said...

Powerful Sheri, I'd like to do this.

rooney said...

my dear siesta sheri, you captured one of the very things that moved me tremendously over the weekend. the stories, the connection, the Answer. those on the outside say, 'OH! you got to meet Beth!'. but everyone there knows the truth... 'we got to meet Jesus... through the Word, the worship, the women (yes, including Beth, Amanda, Melissa and all the ladies at LPM). Jesus alone was the intimacy and the bond. Count me in on the next 24. :-)
love ya, my siesta!

UL Cards Fan said...

WOW Sheri... I can't seem to read anything related to our weekend without being moved to tears. You have captured the heart of our time together. Blessed to call you, Jackie, and Charlotte "sisters".
Love, Linda

Marla Taviano said...

I love it!!

Anonymous said...

Charlotte carty

Working on my first two already. Thanks Siesta Sheri

Yolanda said...

So true, very true.

I'm working on my February 1st scripture with a smile.

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Vicki Cluxton said...

The weekend was more than I could have ever imagined. How could we turn down another chance to memorize 24 more scriptures and know the power of His word!

Beautiful Daughters said...

Siesta your words are beautiful.
They so capture the weekend. We walked away with so much more than what we thought we came for..
These memories will be with us forever.
Blessings,
Rachel

Judi Coates said...

Hi Sheri,
I saw you at the weekend, but didn't actually meet you.
Powerful words!!!!

Judi Coates said...

Oops - correction! Yes I did meet you - in the Lobby on Friday......you gave me your card.
No wonder I recognized the blog name! :-)

Go-Between said...

Well said Shari!
I wished I could have connected more and heard some of those stories.

But totally agree that it wasn't as much about 'meeting Beth' but about meeting Him and enjoying Beth - who is someone like us -but exudes Jesus - which of course, is why we love her so much.

But so glad I got to meet you and Jackie! As well, as the others I did get to meet!

Teri said...

What a wonderful weekend we had at SSMTC! Count me in memorizing Scripture for 2010... "Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God" (Matthew 4:4)

I HUNGER for God's word~ He alone sustains me!

Blessings~
Teri

Anonymous said...

Great idea!

christy rose said...

Hi Sheri,
I just stopped over from Beth's at Outnumbered 3 to 1. I always enjoy making new blogging friends. I love your blog and this post. It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend with other sisters in the Lord and shared your hearts with each other. How fulfilling that kind of weekend sounds. And, to hear all of the stories in their lives of how life has changed for them by depending upon the Word of God, is just the topping on the cake. How delightful! I really like the idea you have here. I think I will come back and get to know you even better. I would love it if you would stop by my place some time and meet me and my family as well. I had a very pleasant visit with you today. Even though you did not know it yet. :) It was nice meeting you,
Christy Rose

Mama Bev said...

I'm in, too, for the 2010 memorizing! God's Word is the way He used to heal my mind, and I just can't encourage women enough to get into His Word, to know Him, to align our lives to His ways!
I love the stories that have been shared. Keep sharing them, ladies. .

Right now working on Psalm 19
"The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims His handiwork . . "

rooney said...

January 1st verse:
Hebrews 1:3 (NIV)

The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact represnetation of His being, sustaining all things by His powerful Word.

January 15 verse:
Genesis 16:13 (NIV)
I have now seen the One who sees me.

Sherry said...

I found your blog at "Just Call Me Grammy". I was at the SSMTC too! What an awesome weekend. I plan on continuing with memorizing scripture this year. Great post!

Tammy said...

well you know I am in...I have about gotten my January ones down. So let His word come alive in our hearts...I like the idea of pink boas..but can mine be purple..heheh

Your post was beautiful

blessings my friend

holycamp09 said...

Oh Sheri, I wish I had been there. But to be honest, I was afraid to come...what if I wasn't as moved by my verses as others were, what if I hadn't memorized them as well as others, what if you didn't like me. Those were true fears, but now I wish I had not used circumstances and my husband as an excuse. I'm game for doing it again this year and coming to next year's celebration!
Deborah

Shelly said...

What a great post! I couldn't agree more--we all had a story, and the common denominator was how God faithfully worked with each one of us through His Word in our spirals.

Emmy said...

I love what you said! So true! Thank you!

Lora said...

How very true!