“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Friday, January 22, 2010

Siesta Scripture Memory Team Celebration!
I'm Not Exactly What You Call a Redneck...



I arrived in Houston yesterday afternoon to SUN and warmth.  The sun actually warms your skin as it hits you.  Oh my!  It is sweet... and I even remembered to bring my sunglasses and sandals. 

It had been suggested (by Siesta Anne) to wear something pink to recognize one another at the airports and throughout the weekend.  If you were brave enough... or silly enough... they suggested a pink boa.  I am wearing a bright pink feather boa which attracts a lot of siestas and attention!  But it is molting! and unbeknownst to me - staining my clothes and neck!  So, I'm not exactly what you call a redneck... but I guess you could call me a pinkneck?

Thursday morning, I flew from Portland to Seattle.  When I got on the plane in Seattle I noticed two gals wearing pink scarves... and I asked them if they were going to see Beth.  They were and then they pointed out the other Siestas who coincidentally (wink) were sitting around us.  We hadn't planned it... but God did.  There were seven of us within three rows of each other.  I even got to sit next to Siesta Angie.  Other Siestas were Marybeth, Donna, Emily, Marykay and Amanda.  Seven in all!


I met up with Siesta Jackie (aka Rooney) at the airport.  We had found each other through Siesta Angie's spreadsheet.  Siesta Charlotte and her mom Julie also had hooked up with Siesta Jackie.

I am so glad I did not rent a car on my own!  I read the directions as Siesta Jackie drove.  I would have been in tears if I would have had to navigate the streets of Houston on my own.


Thursday night, we hopped in the hotel's stretch limo and had dinner a PF Changs.  Yum!  And returned to a hotel which had been ordered by the city to turn off the water for emergency repairs.  We had to fill our tubs just in case of emergency, and the hotel provided bottled water and antiseptic wipes.  It really was a non issue... but memorable oddly enough.


We started meeting more and more ladies who had traveled alone to the SSTMC.  They were drawn to us because of our boas... and we jokingly said... "We've met our new BFFs for the first time!"  We would invite them to ride with us to the church... or join us for dinner.  Always amazed at how quickly we bonded.  A lot of people mistaked us as having come together because we chatted together like lifelong friends... which is what we are now.

Today we hung out in the Presidential Suite at the Omni.  LPM had reserved it for the Siestas as just a place to meet.  Charlotte, Jackie and I were up there reviewing our memory verses as ladies came in to chat or just check out the room.  We met siestas who stopped by... like Danelle, Eleanor, Sheila and Janice.  You just might end up seeing some of them on my Facebook!


And of course, the SUN was here... bright and vivid and WARM!  I sat by the pool just soaking it in!  (I am serious when I say that it immediately "brightened" my day!)

Siestas Sheri, Charlotte, Anne & Linda

We met Amanda (Beth's daughter) as we left the hotel parking lot... and of course, took plenty of photos.  We told her we were going to Papasito's and she highly recommended the chicken fajitas... and was she right!  While at dinner, Siesta Anne was about to dine on her own, but we pulled her right in... and she is just a delight!  Well, you would have to be if you were the one who thought of the pink feather boas, right?

We arrived at the church to meet our 507 other BFFs.  We met in Beth's former Bible Study room.  Still we stood at the door for almost an hour waiting to get good seats, but any seat was a good seat!  Amanda, Melissa and Travis were there along with all the other wonderful LPM staff.

Then I saw Siesta Christina who I met on Audrey's spreadsheet via blogland... and she lives in Roseburg, OR.  Sounds like a roadtrip to me!  Of course, there are a couple of ladies trying to convince me to fly to Lexington, Kentucky for the Beth Moore conference in August... and what about the one in Spokane, Washington in October?

Beth took the stage just around 7pm.  Amanda informed us of the diversity of the group... different denominations... 42 different states represented and Canada.  Melissa encouraged us to recognize the LPM hard working staff.

And then... Beth shared how they were audio taping the event... and how the other 1,500 Siestas who completed their 24 verses would be able to download the event.  She soooo missed you Siestas!  And the rest of us, too!

Well, I better get to bed.  I have to get up and pack in the morning so I can check out and head to the event... and hang out with some amazing women... and then hop on a plane back to Oregon tomorrow night... where with anticipation... I'll be walking through the security area... leaving the gate area... and I will see a familiar sight... and feel a familiar tug.  There will be people (Anthony and Christopher!) lined up waiting anxiously for me to walk through the security area... and well, I have to tell you I am looking forward to that moment... when I am waited for... looked for... and feel special... even if it took a little planning ahead of time!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love everything you said. This is exactly what I would have said abut this most amazing time. I have enjoyed this most precious time with my new BFF Siesta's and you and Jackie are my very favorites. LOL Charlotte

Mama Bev said...

Dear Siesta Sheri!!
Thank you for posting throughout the Houston event. I so much wanted to be there, but I am teaching for our women's bible study (Me, Myself and Lies, no less) and just did not have the energy to be gone Thurs-Sat and then teach on Tues. . .

I'm a siesta who lives in Stayton, OR. What fun that there are several of us in the state! Are you planning to participate in the "So Long, Insecurities" book group and then simulcast in April? I've ordered my book and it will be in my little hands in about 2 weeks.

I look forward to chatting with you.
beverly
www.pleaforgrace.com

gideonmommasita said...

excellent!

bp said...

It just makes me saw awwww and smile when I see your pictures and read about what you are doing. I'm so so very glad you went! Hope you had a safe trip home.

UL Cards Fan said...

Love this Sheri...especially your new profile picture. What a joy to hang out with you in Houston. I'll be back in Lexington tomorrow so maybe I'll be able to post some pics.
Love, Linda

Tammy said...

my sweet friend,
It was so wonderful to read about your precious time in Houston. did you hug Mama Beth? I am just getting to read this after being without power for three days due to ice and it just made me smile. I am so glad you had a wonderful time. Praying you had safe travel home.

blessings and hugs

~A said...

Siesta Sheri,
SO wonderful meeting you! I enjoyed reading this.
Much, much love to you dear friend.
Anne

Patti said...

That sounds like SUCH a fun time!!!!!!!! I can't wait for another Beth Moore event to come to town or at least be kinda close, maybe we could get a group together? :)

Marla Taviano said...

Fun post! Sorry about your pink neck!! Are you going to blog about the rest of the weekend??

Cindy- My Life HIS Story said...

You were so good to post DURING the weekend! I still can't get my mind around it all...I did well just to get a brief synopsis out there!

Sandy said...

Awesome pictures! Thank you for sharing. I had an amazing weekend, too. I could've stood for it to be just a little longer, and to have met more of you all. Maybe next time! :)

Yolanda said...

What a beautiful beginning of a lovely weekend.

Wow, the time of my life.

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Lora said...

It has been a treat to real all your posts on the SSMTC. I had heard about the water situation at the Omni and it sounds like you made the best of it - PF Chang's is one of my favorites!