“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Sunday, February 28, 2010

1st & 15th Scripture Memory 2010: Verse 5
Renewal. Renovation. Complete Change for the Better.

photography by Anthony

Do not conform any longer 
to the pattern of this world,
but be transformed by the  
RENEWing of your mind. 
Then you will be able to test and approve 
what God's will is—
his good, pleasing and perfect will.  
Romans 12:2

According to Thayers Lexicon, the greek word "renewing" used in this verse is defined as:  a renewal, renovation, complete change for the better.

This weekend I attended a women's retreat hosted by my church.
The theme:  Renovation.
The name of my small group:  Renew.

It was a bit of an emotional weekend for me.  God allowed me to share a portion of my childhood... which was not idyllic... and I know most of you can relate.  How it grieves my heart to look back on that little girl... I want to wrap her in my arms and tell her that one day...
She will be renewed.
Renovated.
And --praise God-- completely changed for the better.
I am loving it.  Completely changed for the better.

After the weekend drew to a close, I set about looking for something to remind me of the weekend.  The work God did this weekend... and is continuing to do.  I came across a key-chain in the hotel gift shop with the word "courage" which resonated with what I had just done... and divinely coincided with the verse that was personally prayed over for me by the retreat coordinators...

Be strong. 
Take courage
Don't be intimidated. 
Don't give them a second thought 
because God, your God, is striding ahead of you. 
He's right there with you. 
He won't let you down; 
he won't leave you.
Deuteronomy 31:6 MSG

And it was all true.  He was right there with me.  He didn't let me down.  He stayed with me.

And then... on the way home... we stopped by Starbucks... and of course, I saw this mug... and thought... this would be my altar... my remembrance... of how God is renewing me... renovating me... completely changing me... which fits so perfectly with Romans 12:2.  And so, I have chosen it as my 5th memory verse for 2010.

Are you growing weary of memorizing scripture?  I know I am.  I didn't memorize verse 4 yet... so I'll be memorizing my 4th and 5th at the same time.  But here's the thing... by memorizing scripture I am not conforming to the pattern of this world... and my mind is being renewed... and that truly is a change for the better.

Please list your current memory verse with translation as a comment.  It is always a blessing to read what is meaningful to you.

6 comments:

christy rose said...

I love retreats! I always come away from them refreshed and renewed!

holycamp09 said...

I'm so glad you had courage and were renewed at your retreat. I'm sure you received a blessing by being open about your life and others were blessed...that's how God works, isn't it great!

I'm doing memory verses this year, but I'm doing one a week and doing the word filled wednesday link up to post my verse.

Yolanda said...

"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Hebrews 4:12 NIV

I've stepped mine up to three each month, but this is what God revealed to me for my March 1st scripture.

Lovingly,
Yolanda

rooney said...

oh! i love your verse and the explanatin behind it. i paused and considered using that verse instead of the one i chose for my March 1st verse because i KNOW God is in the business of renewing my mind too. but, i think i'm sticking with my original. it speaks about remembering all the Lord's commands and obeying them. i relate that to rooting up the source of my insecurity and believing Truth, rather than lies. (see how i mix 2 blogs posts?). God is weaving them all together for one purpose at the moment. He's good at that. :-)

Numbers 15:13 NIV
These will serve as tassels for you to look on so that you may remember all the Lord's command and obey them.

(from my morning devotional that Steve bought me for Christmas. It's a devotional on Believing God by BM).

Lora said...

Another beautiful picture! As I read your post, I thought of the word restore as well. I am so glad God is in the business of using restored people. I'm so glad that He uses willing vessels. My childhood was not idyllic either and I am so blessed that you found the courage key-chain. Courage is an area the LORD is working on with me. And I love the Message version of Deuteronomy 31:6.

Blessings to you!

sew or sow said...

charlotte carty
lexington, ky

Eph 1: 19 (NIV)
and His incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength.