“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Monday, February 1, 2010

2010 Scripture Memory Verse #3

Verse 1
Verse 2
Verse 3
Verse 4
Verse 5 
Verse 6 
Verse 7 
Verse 8

Congratulations to Jen C for winning your own copy of 
So Long, Insecurity by Beth Moore. 
Thank you to everyone who entered!

I have hidden your word in my heart 
that I might not sin against you.  
Psalm 119:11 NIV

Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; 
give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name.  
Psalm 86:11 NIV

I am so excited that some of you have decided to memorize scripture alongside me this year.  I will follow the same format I followed last year from the 2009 Siesta Scripture Memory Team on the LPM Blog.  Below I have pretty much plagiarized what Beth Moore said on her blog... but is it plagiarism if I tell you I did it?
Here's what you do today (and on the 15ths and 1sts of the months that will follow): You will put your name, your city, and your verse (with reference and translation abbreviation) in a comment to this post. If you want... tell us why you are choosing your particular verse... okay, this part is different from the LPM Blog... but I'm interested!

You are welcome to memorize the one I have chosen or any of the other verses listed in the comments. However, you still need to put your name, city, and the verse in a comment to this post. It's a vital part of the accountability. Don't feel silly or like you've copied. That's what the Body of Christ is for! Many of the first Scriptures I memorized were those I heard other teachers or leaders recite and I knew I wanted those words for myself. It's a normal part of discipleship so feel free!

Try to post your verse within the first 24 hours of the post both times each month so you will stick with it and take it seriously. I have learned along the way that when you start putting something off, the power to obey and prosper in it begins to drain and soon we lose our fervor. Resist thinking to yourself by the third or fourth month, "Well, I'm not going to take the time to sign in but I'll still memorize the Scripture." I can almost guarantee you (based on experience) that you will not memorize 24 Scriptures by the end of 2010 without sticking with the accountability part of putting your name down each time. Sign in twice every month... even come August... and December!

I have the privilege of teaching about Abraham on Tuesday, February 9th at our Ladies' Bible Study.  I am learning so much about Abraham... and having such a fun time prepping for the teaching.  I have decided to chose a verse that will remind me throughout the year about this precious season I am sharing with the Lord.

The LORD appeared to Abram and said, 
"To your offspring I will give this land." 
So he built an altar there to the LORD, 
who had appeared to him.  Genesis 12:7 NIV

So, what's your verse?

20 comments:

Lora said...

Congratulations Jen C!

charlotte carty said...

Ephesians 1: 17
I keep asking that the GOD of our LORD JESUS CHRIST, the glorious FATHER,may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation. So that you may know him better.

charlotte carty
lexington, ky

Yolanda said...

Every time you cross my mind, I break out in exclamations of thanks to God. Each exclamation is a trigger to prayer.

Philippians 1:3 MSG.

Yolanda
Kansas

PS: I'm doing the same thing on my blog Joy Comes In The morning. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I just went back and read all your notes on The Portland LPL conference. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Isaiah 40:31
But they who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength: they shall mount up on wings like eagles: they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not be faint.
Donna
WNC

rooney said...

Isaiah 58:6-8 (NIV)
6 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.

God has been speaking to my heart lately about the spiritual discipline of fasting...

Jackie Platte City MO

rooney said...

thank you, sheri, for doing this...

Mama Bev said...

Psalm 19:5-6

In them He has set a tent for the sun, which comes out like a bridegroom leaving his tent, and, like a strong man, runs its course with joy.
Its rising is from the end of the heavens, and its circuit to the end of them, and nothing is hidden from its heat

I'm memorizing the entire psalm with our ladies bible study. we are doing 2 verses a week

beverly
stayton, OR

Patti said...

Zephaniah 3:17 (New International Version)

The LORD your God is with you,
he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing."

Patti
Hillsboro, OR

Tammy said...

His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by His own glory and goodness.

1 Peter 1:3 (NIV)

sister sheri said...

Psalm 57:2 NIV
I cry out to God most high, to God, who fulfills His purpose for me.

Susan

alwaysdreamllc said...

James 1:2-3 NIV
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3. because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.

Jenny
Gresham, OR
PS I love this, you're a great encouragement Sheri!

gideonmommasita said...

Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you. Isaiah 54:10

I have been feeling bitter lately and so am using this as a reminder that he promises to have compassion and love for me.

Vicki Cluxton said...

Matthew 11:28-30 NIV
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Vicki C.
Fort Wayne, IN

(Sorry to be late - my mom had surgery and I was out of town yesterday.)

Jen said...

John 15:7-8 NIV
If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

Jen Carlton
Beaverton, OR

Christina said...

I wasn't sure if I was going to continue memorization this year. I've gone back and forth for the last month. Well several days this week God has awakened me earlier then necessary and placed scriptures on my mind. I think he wants me to continue. So here I am! I will go back and post to the second scripture also.

I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.

Ephesians 1:17
NIV

Christina
Roseburg, OR

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

Oh, I feel behind already, I didn't start until AFTER the Siesta get together!

"The LORD bless you and keep you;
The LORD make His face shine upon you, And be gracious to you;
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you, And give you peace"

Numbers 6:24-26 NKJV

Beth Herring
Oak Grove, La.

Beautiful Daughters said...

I love how many of us are keeping up with the scripture memory.
I just posted about it on my own blog.
Congrats to Jen C!

Brett said...

Thought I'd suggest a website I use to manage my memory verses. It makes memorization so much easier!

http://scripturetyper.com

Blessings!

Brett

teri-free2bme said...

I have continued with memory verses since SSMTC and am SOOOO glad to find you doing this, Sister Sheri... accountablity is good! Besides, God is blessed when we share the love of his word with eachother!!!!)
Here's my verse for Feb 1-14~

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time, we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9 (NIV)

Teri
Corpus Christi, TX

Grandmaof5 said...

Feb 15
I Thess 5:12
Be we request of you brothers, that you appreciate those of who didlgently labor among you, and have charge over you in the Lord and give you instruction.
Vicki
Eufalua, AL