“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Friday, February 12, 2010

Don't Drink the KOOL-AID...

Vera Bradley Petal Pink Binder

Okay, so I live about 2 miles from a Hallmark store that carries Vera Bradley.  Often items go for 50-75% off (and even once 90% off).  So, when this pattern was retired almost 2 years ago... I snagged it for a deal.  I plan on using it whenever I have the opportunity to teach in the future.  Not sure what that looks like, but I am anticipating it!



Last night my husband "kind" of questioned me about my fanaticism for Beth Moore lately.  I immediately agreed with him that I have been talking about her a lot or blogging about her or flying to see her in Houston... or reading her current book release!  At the SSMTC one of my new BFFs, Linda, said that her husband had told her not drink any KOOL-AID she might be offered by Beth Moore.  She chuckled and told him that if Beth Moore was offering... she'd ask for a pitcher full!

Here's the deal... last year I was talking to a wise friend of mine about a relationship I was in... I was trying to "fix" someone... a habit I am sooooo giving over to the Lord.  Her advice to me was... "Are you pointing her to the Lord or to yourself?"  Gulp!  She encouraged me to draw my friend to the Lord... and not try to be her "everything."  Such strong words that I immediately wrote them down and keep them in my office as a reminder to myself... whenever I feel like I don't know what to say to someone or how to help them... or how to fix them... I ask myself, "Am I pointing her to YOU or to me?"

And in the same vain... I look at those I esteem in the ministry.  Are they pointing me to God or to themselves?  As for Beth Moore, I can only say that her influence over the years through Bible Studies, books or teachings have so increased my love for the Word of God that I am overwhelmed with gratefulness.  That she is constantly pointing me to Jesus and to the truth of the Bible... I guess I just can't contain myself.

And so, I also say this for myself... If I am ever pointing you to me and not to God... don't follow me!  Follow God!  And please... in love... gently rebuke me.  And remind me... that it is sooooo about God's grace and mercy... and the best thing I can do sometimes is to just shut up and pray.

...for they received the message 
with great eagerness and 
examined the Scriptures every day 
to see if what Paul said was true. 
Acts 17:11b

7 comments:

Amy said...

Good thoughts, and quite a challenging question that I need reminded of often.

rooney said...

i so agree... Houston wasn't awesome because Beth Moore and my new siesta's were there.. it was awesome because the Lord was there. period. like you said once, Sheri, the rest is icing on the cake.
i love the question of who i am pointing people to.. i'm writing that one down and keeping myself in check.

Yolanda said...

Sister Sheri,

You are so right on, right ON! I also really appreciated the scripture you concluded your writing with. I wished I would have now kept my boa that I was so graciously given in Houston to put on and "do it afraid". Instead I sent it home with my room-mate to share with her two grand-daughters. Mine lives a long way from me, and I didn't know when I would get to see her next.

My heart beats with yours, I truly believe that Beth always points us to Jesus and to the deep things of God. MEAT no milk honey.

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Vicki Cluxton said...

I agree with your thoughts and the other comments. Houston was a delight, and I esteem Beth Moore, but God planted His word in my heart. My reward! And His too! That question is a valid one - and so true - a good reminder to us all.

I had the same conversation with my hubby last night. I am questioning blogging because I don't want to come across as having arrived or having all the answers. I would rather be "real" - it is such a fine line.

It is good to have company along this road we are on, striving to be more like Him!

Laura said...

It's funny that you should write about Beth Moore like this. I have been part of a neighborhood women's Bible study for nearly two years. Most of our studies have been Beth's. We LOVE her. But we did make it a point to choose other author's as well for that very reason. We didn't want to simply become Beth-Moore-Addicts. We really felt the need to also learn from other teachers. But I must say, every time we returned to one of Beth's studies, it felt like coming home!

Tammy said...

Oh this is really good and i like the notebook...good thoughts on pointing in the right direction. I wrote that question down as a good reminder to myself.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I love Beth as well; her work has been transformational for me in my pursuit of God. That being said, the lines between admiring her and worshipping her got a bit blurry at one point, and I had to step back and receive some teaching from the Lord on the matter.

I've since made peace with it all and can now appreciate Beth's ministry from a distance without crossing any boundary lines. Truly, she's one of the best Bible study teachers we have in 2010. I imagine her work as timeless, and will long have an effect in the generations to come.

May we all be found so obedient to the calling that God has placed upon our lives.

You're doing a good job, Sheri. Keep to it.

peace~elaine