“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Monday, February 22, 2010

If Only...

However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, 
 if only I may finish the race and 
complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—
the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.  
Acts 20:24

A "prominent false positive" is "the one thing that would make you more secure in all things."

Just wondering if any of these might be your "one thing"...

If only I was married...
If only I had children...
If only I could have had more children...
If only I had married someone else...
If only I hadn't gotten pregnant...
If only I lived closer to my family...
If only I could lose the extra weight...
If only my husband wasn't an alcoholic...
If only I wasn't an alcoholic...
If only I could be a stay-at-home mom...
If only I didn't have to deal with depression...
If only my husband was faithful...
If only I could be faithful...
If only I had a best friend...
If only I had more friends...
If only I wasn't lonely...
If only I could make friends at church...
If only the church leadership would see my potential...
If only I would be promoted...
If only I was given a raise...
If only I looked younger...
If only I was younger...
If only I was in shape...
If only I didn't have chronic pain...
If only I could get over him...
If only I had financial security...
If only I was beautiful...
If only I hadn't been sexually abused...
If only I hadn't been neglected as a child...
If only I had a college degree...
If only I knew what God wanted me to do...
If only I was more spiritual...
If only I could meet my own expectations...
If only my children would come back to the Lord...
If only my husband would come back to the Lord...
If only my family didn't embarrass me...
If only the church would help me...
If only I were more like other people...
If only I was emotionally stable at all times of the month...
If only my sister wouldn't judge me...
If only the Bible were easier to read...
If only I lived in a better neighborhood...
If only my home looked like hers...
If only I looked like her...
If only I didn't feel so guilty...
If only I could forget my past...
If only I could please my mother...
If only I didn't care so much...
If only I didn't love so much...
If only I wasn't so sensitive...

If only I wasn't so insecure...



And Abraham said to God, 
"If only Ishmael might live under your blessing!"  
Genesis 17:18

Once again he spoke to him, "What  
if only forty are found there?" 
He said, "For the sake of forty, 
I will not do it."  Genesis 18:29

The Israelites said to them, 
"If only we had died by the LORD's hand in Egypt! 
There we sat around pots of meat and 
ate all the food we wanted, 
but you have brought us out into this desert 
to starve this entire assembly to death." 
Exodus 16:13

"Tell the people: 
'Consecrate yourselves in preparation for tomorrow, 
when you will eat meat. 
The LORD heard you when you wailed, 
"If only we had meat to eat! 
We were better off in Egypt!" 
Now the LORD will give you meat, 
and you will eat it. Numbers 11:18

And Joshua said, "Ah, Sovereign LORD, 
why did you ever bring this people 
across the Jordan to deliver us 
into the hands of the Amorites to destroy us?  
If only we had been content to stay 
on the other side of the Jordan!  Joshua 7:7

He said, "They were my brothers, 
the sons of my mother. As the LORD lives,  
if only you had let them live, 
I would not kill you." Judges 8:19

"If only this people were under my command! 
Then I would get rid of him. 
I would say to Abimelech, 
'Call out your whole army!'" Judges 9:29

And Absalom would add, 
"If only I were appointed judge in the land! 
Then everyone who has a complaint or case 
could come to me and 
I would see that he gets justice." 
2 Samuel 15:4

The king was shaken. He went up to the room 
over the gateway and wept. 
As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! 
My son, my son Absalom!
If only I had died instead of you—
O Absalom, my son, my son!" 2 Samuel 18:33

If only I had never come into being, 
or had been carried straight 
from the womb to the grave! Job 10:19

If only God would speak; 
if only he would tell you what he thinks! Job 11:5

Their insults have broken my heart,and I am in despair. 
If only one person would show some pity; 
if only one would turn and comfort me. Psalm 69:20 NLT

If only you would slay the wicked, 
O God! Away from me, you bloodthirsty men! 
Psalm 139:13

Martha said to Jesus, “Lord,  
if only you had been here, 
my brother would not have died. John 11:21

8 comments:

elizabeth embracing life said...

"if only" God shows Himself in the most amazing ways and still we make this statement "if only".

This week my "if only" is this:
If only the Olympics would air during our timezone I could be more rested.

Vicki Cluxton said...

Two little seemingly insignificant words, yet so often our lives hang on them. Great word study to show us that He is our One and Only, not if only.

UL Cards Fan said...

Very powerful. Thanks Sheri. So glad I don't have to say..."If only I had found someone to ride to Houston's First Baptist Church with".

gideonmommasita said...

wow, all those "if only" scripture references are amazing. It wasn't just our generation that came up with the "if only" statement. Solomon was right, there really is nothing new under the son.


I always think, if only we hadn't had kids right away we would have our own house, be more financially secure, blah, blah, blah

Yolanda said...

This hits at the heart of women, each one of us.

With love,
Yolanda

rooney said...

Sheri, if only i hadn't gone to Houston and if only i hadn't shared a rental car with these fantastic women, then i would not be reading this blog, being challenged everyday by this incredible woman of God who constantly points me to Jesus.

love this post. i can not wait until i get home this evening so i can devour it with intent instead of skimming it here at work.

love you, my sister in Christ.

christy rose said...

There is a lot of revelation in this post! We think that things in our life would change so much if certain things were different for us, when the Truth really is.... if only we knew more revelation of the love of Jesus and how complete He made us by the finished work He accomplished on the cross for us. Great and excellent post Sheri

bp said...

IF that is such a big word.

Thanks for sharing this today along with the verses.

God bless you.