“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Sunday, February 21, 2010

So Long, Insecurity - Week 2

Rays of Hope
photography by Anthony

I've struggled to write this post.  I'm not sure why.  Perhaps it is because there is so much meat-y material... and I really wish I could buy each of you and everyone I know a copy of So Long, Insecurity.  And for those of you who are not reading the book, I have found it difficult to make my answers feel sufficient to give you an idea of what Beth is asking about this week.  And I normally don't write posts until I feel inspired to do so... but I didn't want to wait much longer because I don't want to miss reading your answers to Week 2 before Week 3 is already here.

Your answers to  So Long, Insecurity - Week 1 have touched my heart and opened my eyes.  How we can be so secure in some areas of our lives... and so insecure in other areas has been an epiphany for me.  I am trying to take advantage of what security I do have... and use it in other areas of my life.

You are welcome to leave your answers to So Long, Insecurity - Week 2 in the comments section of this post.  It will be exciting to track our growth alongside each other.  And we can pray for one another.  As always... because we are dealing with insecurity... feel free to leave an anonymous comment. 


So Long, Insecurity - Week 2

1. Based on Chapter Three, what tends to be your own "Prominent False Positive"?
Beth defines a "prominent false positive" as "the one thing that would make you more secure in all things."
I would consider my "prominent false positive" to be my "chronic need for affirmation."  Which includes wanting everyone to like me... and to be pleased with me... and to tell me about it.  And even after that... to remind me, again. 
"No one solitary thing on this entire planet has the power to secure everything else." ~ Beth Moore

2. What is the challenge stated at the very end of Chapter Three?  (I want us to see this restated in our comments hundreds of times so it breaks into our belief systems. It is critical to our journey. SO, I don't care how many times you've seen it written on this post, write it again for yourself. That's your mama talking.)
"That, beloved, is our challenge.  To let the healthy, utterly whole, and completely secure part of us increasingly overtake our earthen vessels until it drives our every emotion, reaction and relationship.  When we allow God's truth to eclipse every false positive and let our eyes spring open to the treasure we have, there in His glorious reflection we'll also see the treasure we are.  And the beauty of the Lord our God will be upon us (Psalm 90:17 NKJV)." ~ Beth Moore
And let the beauty of the LORD our God be upon us,
And establish the work of our hands for us;
Yes, establish the work of our hands.
Psalm 90:17 NKJV


3. Based on Chapter Four, what Biblical figure (or statement about him/her) resonated with you most and why?
Some of the Biblical figures that were discussed in the book were:  Abraham, Sarah and Hagar, Leah and Rachel, Saul, the woman at the well, Paul and Moses.  My answer to this question is in the post Blogging is so Passé... Again! 
"...even when fears are founded and threats are real and we are about to be swept away in a tidal wave of well-earned insecurity, there is a divine power, wisdom, and clarity of thought to be found.  
...surely, we can breathe a sigh of relief that we are not alone in our struggles.  Human flesh and blood have no weakness so strong that God's strength is made weak.  He's got what we need.  It's up to us whether or not we're going to let the worst of us get the best of us." ~ Beth Moore

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, 
for my power is made perfect in weakness."

Therefore I will boast all the more gladly 
about my weaknesses, 
so that Christ's power may rest on me. 

That is why, for Christ's sake, 
I delight in weaknesses, 
in insults, in hardships, 
in persecutions, in difficulties. 

For when I am weak, then I am strong. 

2 Corinthians 12:9-10

3 comments:

Mama Bev said...

sorry, Sheri,
I put my weeks one and two comments on the last post :)
I've been listening to the audio downloads of the SSM Celebration -- I think this will be a "2 or 3 time" listening!!

rooney said...

The Challenge in Chapter 3 states,
" To let the healthy, utterly whole, and completely secure part of us increasingly overtake our earthly vessels until it drives out every emotion, reaction and relationship."

Based on Chapter 3, what tends to be your own “prominent False Positive?”
I gravitate towards “If I had a husband who loved and served the Lord, then we could pray and be on the same page spiritually. He would love me as Christ loved the church and I would feel so good about myself all the time! it is rejection or perceived rejection from my husband that makes me feel most insecure.

I think the Bible character I relate to in this is Hagar. To me, she had lots to offer her man, but he didn’t want it. He took just the bare necessasities from her and discarded her. She was deemed 2nd class because Sarah was the one that was really loved. I don’t think my man loves any person more than me, he just loves TV and books and sleep more than me. So.. I guess it could be worse. (sorry if that is too much information. Just want to be real here.)

Anonymous said...

1.My prominent false positive…I was having a hard time finding the words to declare this. I was thinking along the lines of ‘success’ - but not success because it is a lofty goal, but because it is the opposite of failure. Then I read your ‘if only’ post and it hit smack between the eyes. If only my Dad had loved me then I would be secure. I constantly ‘worked’ as a child and young woman to make that happen, and I was not successful. In fact it is fair to say I was a complete failure in that endeavor. It has since tainted my idea of success, and no matter what I accomplish it remains in my heart that there…I failed.

2.Challenge: To let the healthy, utterly whole, and completely secure part of us increasingly overtake our earthen vessels until it drives our every emotion, reaction, and relationship. When we allow God’s truth to eclipse every false positive and let our eyes spring open to the treasure we have, there in His glorious reflection we’ll also see the treasure we are. And the beauty of the Lord our God will be upon us (Psalm 90:17, NKJV).

3.The Biblical figure that resonated with me was Saul. The statement: Insecure people are always afraid that something or somebody is going to be taken from them. In the earlier portion of chapter 3 I loved when she talked about sloshing around in self-doubt over whether or not we’ll have tomorrow what we have today! Wow – that is me.