“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Monday, March 8, 2010

Depression Can Meet A Need

 
photography by Anthony

I read something the other day... something that I have tried to put into words... something that I had never heard anyone else express.  Perhaps you can relate.

I still "flirt" with depression; I can feel it coming on.  I look for the warning signs of what I call the slippery slope of depression.

When it comes near I have a choice.  Sometimes you can feel like you don't have a choice and you can feel like a victim.  But you do have a choice.  Once you are in depression you can't get out of it easily.  I believe it can become an addiction.  Depression can become a comfort.  You hate the low feeling, but there is something about despondency that is comforting.  Depression can meet a need.  You have to make a choice not to give in to it.

~ Anonymous Christian leader from California

Excerpt from Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank and Renewing Your Passion by Wayne Cordeiro
Some of you won't understand.  And that's okay.  Sometimes I just have to talk about it.  It doesn't mean that I am currently suffering with my depression.  Actually, I have been thanking God daily... okay, hourly... for all the sun this winter. 

I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.

Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the LORD. 

Psalm 40:1-3 

We need to know our slippery slopes.  We need to know that sometimes our pits can seem to meet our needs. We need to know we have a choice.  We need to know we are not alone.   

As for me... I am putting my trust in the Lord.

9 comments:

a portland granny said...

Sheri, that quote you had on your post was exactly something which I was talking about with a friend last week. My pain has become a habit...I hate it, yet I know it..and when it isn't there, I feel unhinged, even tho I rejoice in the freedom from it.

That was so 'right on' with my thoughts of late--not depression, but in my own situation.

Thanks for sharing that...for I thought I had rather twisted thinking in regard to my situation!

I think this was helpful....and of course the scripture was wonderful!

gideonmommasita said...

Flirting with depression works for me...well it doesn't but the analogy fits. It could probably be said that I flirt with bad eating too, I feel it coming on and start down the path of making poor eating choices and if I don't stop myself it go into a week long affair with sugar. "Taste and see that the Lord is good. Blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

christy rose said...

Wow! This was excellent. Loved that excerpt at the beginning of your post. Such wisdom is revealed in it. But the Scripture at the end is definitely the answer to it all. Trust Him to empower us to overcome and live in the Life that Jesus provided for us. His Life.

rooney said...

me too, sheri, putting my trust in the Lord.
thank you for this post.
i have been working the past few weeks almost 70 hrs a week. i'm sorry, but i still have the envelope with the pics from houston on my car seat. i will try to get it in the mail in the next day or two! :-)
what a welcome break for a minute when i pop over to the Leaking Window in the middle of a stressful day and God speaks to me. thank you for being obedient to His call with your particular gifting. it is much appreciated!
love ya, siesta.
jackie

Amy said...

Very thought provoking post! I know what my triggers are, and I have found that talking to Joel and just putting words to the thoughts in my head helps me immensely. I certainly don't want to go back to that dark place again.

Yolanda said...

Sheri,

I'm thinking about you, with love.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sheri,
Thank you so much for your encouraging words! I am struggling with exactly what you wrote about, though rather than depression, I insert the words panic attacks/anxiety. Your godly words are exactly what I need to hear. Thank you, dear sister, for always pointing us to the TRUTH of JESUS!!! Love xoxo, Libby P.S. Recently I have been thinking about those words in Psalm 40, and now you have confirmed that those are words which I need to memorize! :-) Thank you!!!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I think these some very helpful thoughts, Sheri. It's obvious to me that I sometimes choose certain behaviors to fill an emptiness in me, but quickly see it isn't working. Problem is, not sure what really does work all the time. Sometimes, it's something as simple as getting out with others (which always makes me feel better); sometimes an outdoor run (which, in turn, always makes me feel better unless I do a face-plant like I did yesterday). Sometimes its' rest... something I'm in desperate need of but can't seem to get enough of.

I need to do better about recognizing the triggers that send me sailing into a pit. I will tell you this... after a neat time of ministry to and with others, I can almost always expect a let down in the following days. I imagine you understand.

peace~elaine

Lora said...

It warms my heart that you have been thanking the Lord all day.

(I love the photo.)

Hugs to you dear one.