“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, April 1, 2010

1st & 15th Scripture Memory 2010: Verse 7
"Lord, to whom shall we go? "

photography by Anthony

 From this time many of his disciples 
turned back and no longer followed him. 

 "You do not want to leave too, do you?
Jesus asked the Twelve. 

 Simon Peter answered him, 
"Lord, to whom shall we go? 
You have the words of eternal life.

We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God." 

 John 6:66-69

 Memory Verse 7?  Already?  This year is going quickly!

I have chosen John 6:66-69 for Memory Verse 7 of 2010.  This verse is dear to my heart... and I pretty much know it, but I want to meditate on it the next two weeks.  That's okay, isn't it?  To memorize scripture that you kind of already know?  I feel that sometimes we need certain words pressed into our hearts more deeply and thoroughly.  So, I encourage you to work on a scripture that is kind of familiar to you... but you would really like to meditate on the next two weeks.  What do you think?

I shared about this verse last year after the Beth Moore event in Portland.  I had pretty much just posted all my notes... without editing.  Not pretty... not fancy... not "eloquent"!  But a desire to hold on to what the Lord had spoken to me.  It was a series of 11 posts that I called 6 Words... because that was a theme for Beth at that event.

I love this scripture because it asks the real question... "So, if you don't think this whole Jesus thing is working for you?  What do you think will?"

originally aired... Wednesday, April 29, 2009

6 Words: Lord, to Whom Shall We Go?

Dearest sisters... thank you for bearing with me. I realize my journal notes from the Beth Moore conference have been a dry read... and somewhat selfish on my part to share them so publicly... with no gift wrap of my own. But will you hang in there? Will you be a witness to what is transpiring within me?

God is dealing with me ever so intentionally with my ego. I knew that, but it was at this conference that He decided it was time to go all out with me. Since I hadn't caught on to His gentle nudgings, it was time to get in my face. And I want that. Ever so much.

I'm nothing without Him, girls. In all honesty, I would be dead (not figuratively) without Him. And so, I want to love Him, serve Him, trust Him and obey Him with ever fiber of my being. Seem extreme? I think it must be... but it is all I have. And it is all I have to give.

It is not something I have entered into lightly. It has been a slow 41-year progression. But I can't turn back. I have to go forward.

One of my life verses... that so often rests on my lips and heart are the words of Simon Peter in John 6:68, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life." Some of the disciples of Jesus had turned back... they would no longer follow Jesus... they were dismayed and couldn't handle the Truth. So, Jesus asked the ones who remained, "Do you also want to go away?"

Can you imagine? The Lord asking you if you want to leave Him?

Really, where would I go? What else is there? Money, success, my own fleshly desires, drugs... No, I mean really... what else is there?

You have the words of eternal life.

And then Simon Peter says, "We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God."

It's all I've got, sisters. I believe and know that He is the Holy One of God. It's all I've got...

No, Lord, I do not want to turn back.

No, Lord. I Won't Turn Back.

3 comments:

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

You hit it here sister. He is the Holy One of God. Nothing else matters. He is our everything!

rooney said...

John 16:33 (New International Version)

33"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

Tammy said...

I was a bit behind as the Lord did not really put one on my heart until last night. I had been reviewing the other five verses for the second half of March because I felt I needed to really have them on my heart.

here is my verse for April.

You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.
Psalm 119:114 (NIV)

blessings
Tammy